Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Butterfield Paramedic Training Insititute?

13 posts in this topic

Today, while driving through Cold Spring, I noticed this

[attachmentid=1266]

Is this facility still active? I had once heard that Dutchess CC gave classes here. Is anything still done here?

And Buterfield used to be a full service hospital at one time too, right? When did it close?

post-2-1159658741.jpg

It was a full service hospital until sometime in the 90's. I want to say 95-96.

Facility shut down years ago due to lack of funding, only 1 Paramedic class went through there. The land is owned by either by the county or Putnam Hospital ( im almost positive its owned by the hospital).

It is also haunted by the ghost of Juliette M Butterfield. Just ask anyone who has ever been in the facility.

Facility shut down years ago due to lack of funding, only 1 Paramedic class went through there. The land is owned by either by the county or Putnam Hospital ( im almost positive its owned by the hospital).

I actually believe it is owned by HVHC, not PHC. HVHC entered into an agreement when they were closing to try to keep it open. Also, the now onsite PMD's are affiliated with HVHC.

It is listed as an affiliate at www.hvhc.org.

My father is cop in cold spring and he has visite dthat location more than once for various reasons. It is not being used ofr any classes as to my knowledge but i do believe that the state troopers are using it as a substation--not sure though. From what i understand everytime my fathers etners that building he gets a weeird feeling that somethign is present but not for sure-- hes heard of sightings but doesnt truly believe them i personally wont go within 10 feet of that building just becasue i get an eery vibe from there.

2 full paramedic classes were conducted there 90's. DCC Paramedic program used it for some satelitte classes in 99'. I can also attest to that weird feeling as if someone was there also. When we would sit in class things in the back lab rooms and down the halls which were empty would fall over unexpectingly or you would sometimes hear footsteps. So much that my A & P professor got a dog at the beginning of our A & P 1 class that she named the dog 'Julia' after Julia Butterfield.

never heard of it being haunted...i work for Philipstown and took a swing by there a few times to check it out....didnt notice anything unusual hahaha. i was told the guy who started the cortland paramedics was the guy who started the medic center there, but like i said, funding dried up. Thanks for the correction als, had a wierd feeling it might be hvhc property...i know for a while the philipstown town board was discussing the possibility of having it open back up (mind you this is years ago - maybe 2000 - 2001?) due to the need for a hospital on the west side of putnam.

I also believe that one of the stipulations in the deed is that it must be used as a healthcare facility or healthcare training facility... That is what I heard, but not positive...

Also up untill the early 90's it was the Phillipstown EMS station!!!!!!!!

i was told the guy who started the cortland paramedics was the guy who started the medic center there, but like i said, funding dried up.

No one person "started" Cortlandt Paramedics. If you mean the director, then the first director of CRP when we started in 1992 was Chris Lieberman (sp?) who is currently a full time officer with Westchester County PD. (He also teaches ICS classes for the county and last I talked to him a while back he was an apprentice helo pilot for the aviation unit).

While Chris was the inital "Director of Operations" a guy names John Filangeri from St Vincent's Downtown in NYC came on board to teach the first few waves of Paramedics that went through the "Butterfield Class" (which as mentioned, was an extension of the DCC program). The class's main purpose was to train the paramedics for the CRP program. It wasn't so much the funding that dried up as the pool of students was no longer there and DCC combined the classes into one held at the Dutchess campus.

When Chris left CRP, John came on as the full time director and continued teaching for DCC for a time. Last I checked John is no longer a NYS Certified Instructor but actively teaches ACLS and CME classes at HVHC.

Funny stories related to the Butterfield closing: I remember Alamo used to post an ambulance there for a short period becuase, despite the hospital shutting down inpatient services, it still ran an ER "clinic"of sorts, and any patients requiring admission would be transferred by ambulance to HVHC. The closure of the hospital left a large gap in the ER coverage of the area and local news outlets reported the possibility of opening a replacement ER at Craig House Hospital (anyone knowing craig house would find the idea laughable).

Edited by WAS967

DCC is a great program...for those of us who went through the real medic class I often miss being with my fellow classmates at DCC south. With BIO 101 and 102 by Dr. Fraley. LOL. Just kidding WAS. wink.gif

George

Rick

Kerry

Andrew

Miss you guys...damn that was fun. Applebees and hobnobbins.

Hey now. I graduated from Paul's Paramedic Ninja Dojo at WCC. smile.gif The dead never see us coming! tongue.gif