Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MICP2823

Dutchess Physical

7 posts in this topic

I have been reading the material that Dutchess provided for their physical test. Just the way it is worded the first event, the stair climb and rope hoist, I am having trouble visualizing it and am not too sure what to expect with it. Has anyone taken this form of the test that could help me out?

Then the ladder raise, they say "walk to the top rung" they mean on the ground walking to the end and raising it. Also do you have to use each rung or can you use the side rails?

and the Weighted tire, what is that like, just a tire and you whack it till it hits the end?

and Finally, Pass fail? or are you graded or timed what?/

Thanks

I have been reading the material that Dutchess provided for their physical test.  Just the way it is worded the first event, the stair climb and rope hoist, I am having trouble visualizing it and am not too sure what to expect with it.  Has anyone taken this form of the test that could help me out?

Then the ladder raise, they say "walk to the top rung" they mean on the ground walking to the end and raising it.  Also do you have to use each rung or can you use the side rails?

and the Weighted tire, what is that like, just a tire and you whack it till it hits the end?

and Finally, Pass fail? or are you graded or timed what?/

Thanks

Throughout the entire exam, you will be wearing a 50lb. weighted vest. For the stair climb, you will wear an extra 25 lbs, to total 75. Once you reach the top floor, they will remove the extra 25 lbs.

After the climb, you will proceed to pull a hoseline (uncharged) up to the 5th floor, which is attached by a rope. You will take the rope, and pull it until you grab the nozzle, once in the window, and place it on the ground in a marked area.

For the ladder raise, you have to walk a straight ladder, attached by a pivoted mechanism, walking it up to the wall, using hand over hand, your hands must touch each rung.

The weighted tire is just that. Laying flat on its side, you have to hit the tire until it comes into contact with the wall.

This is a pass/fail examination. If you fail one station, you fail the entire examination.

Any other questions about any other stations, or any other questions about the exam, please feel free to ask, and best of luck to all on it!

After the climb, you will proceed to pull a hoseline (uncharged) up to the 5th floor, which is attached by a rope. You will take the rope, and pull it until you grab the nozzle, once in the window, and place it on the ground in a marked area.

Still with that, your on the 5th floor, do you pull a rope hanging out of the window and pull until the nozzle reaches the window and you place that on the ground?

Still with that, your on the 5th floor, do you pull a rope hanging out of the window and pull until the nozzle reaches the window and you place that on the ground?

Yup, that is it.

I got the physical agility test packet in the mail saying to take the test in the end of October. I still never was notified of my score on the written test.. Also I dont have residency in Dutchess county. So I guess my questions are; Did anyone get notified of there score, will any dutchess departments hire non residents and is it just a pass fail test and your rank is the written test score? Ihave never taken the dutchess test before and have no clue.. Thanks in advance

I got the physical agility test packet in the mail saying to take the test in the end of October. I still never was notified of my score on the written test.. Also I dont have residency in Dutchess county. So I guess my questions are; Did anyone get notified of there score, will any dutchess departments hire non residents and is it just a pass fail test and your rank is the written test score? Ihave never taken the dutchess test before and have no clue.. Thanks in advance

Scores were given out about 3-4 weeks ago in a separate mailing than from the one with the information for the agility exam.

If you wanted to find out your ranking on this list, you can contact the Dutchess County Personnel Office, Monday through Friday until 5PM at 845-486-2169.

Agility exams are being given this upcoming weekend, and next weekend, for people who had conflicting schedules during their initially scheduled time.

The chances of you getting hired living OUTSIDE of Dutchess are slim to none. Living IN Dutchess only helps live in a hiring department's response area.

Also, the agility is a Pass/Fail examination, and your rank derives from your score.

Hope that helps!

Hope everyone did well on their FPAT.

Best of luck to all!

Firefighter candidates take physical exam

Aspirants must take test to proceed

By Rasheed Oluwa

Poughkeepsie Journal

HYDE PARK — With 75 lbs. strapped to his chest and shoulders, Rick Bucher walked up five flights of stairs and hauled a fire hose up through a window Sunday morning.

Bucher looked strong and confident as he paced himself through the fire drill, but there were seven more drills to complete during the firefighter physical ability test and only 14 minutes to complete them.

He completed the test with about three minutes to spare.

"It went well," Bucher said while catching his breath and having his vital signs checked. "I'm tired, but the test wasn't as bad as I thought it would be."

More than 20 aspiring firefighters took the test Sunday at the Dutchess County Fire Training Center off Creek Road. The test is the next step for firefighters after they pass the Dutchess County Civil Service Exam. Failure means the recruits will not be hired by any fire department in the county.

Other drills in the test included banging a sledgehammer against a tire, lifting a ladder up against a two-story building, dragging 135 mannequins around and crawling through a dark maze.

Of the 35 applicants scheduled to take the test Sunday, only 23 attended. Of the 180 applicants required to take the test the week before, only 100 showed up.

"This allows the fire departments to see who is serious before they spend a lot of money on training," said Lou Cassinelli, a firefighter with Arlington and directed the test.

National standards

The test was designed about three years ago by paid fire departments and the Dutchess County Civil Service. The test is based on national standards developed to train firefighters. Candidates must take and pass the test every year until they are hired.

Dave Walsh, chairman of Dutchess Community College's Fire Science programs, said the test's goal is to determine if a candidate is physically fit to proceed.

He said physical conditioning has long been a concern within the firefighting community. A report re- leased last year by the National Fire Protection Association said about 44 percent of all firefighter deaths on the job were attributed to a heart attack or some other heart-related condition.

The test is a toned-down version of the test the candidates must eventually take to graduate from the fire academy.

"The test is the same for everyone because when you go out to a fire, there isn't fire for old people or men or women," he said. "A fire is a fire."