Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
post2089

Ford diesels vs. Chevy diesels

9 posts in this topic

I recently have been reading up on diesel pickups and want to get one, but i haven't been able to get any good opinions on which is the better way to go Ford or Chevy. Dose anyone have any pros or cons or any real life mpg stats? If so could you tell me w/ the year and model you have

i looked at all 3 (ford, gm & dodge) when buying my truck. i don't like the duramax because of the iron block & aluminum heads being dissimilar metals and all that heat & high compression. however it's a gm/isuzu engine & appears to be a good motor. at the time i was looking ford had just released the new powerstroke and it was a total piece of sh!t. computer problems, sudden loss of power, leaks & more. new trucks sitting on the lot even had puddles under them. ford has since fixed the problems & appears to be ok. i chose the dodge because i like the cummins. it's been around a long time & is actually a medium duty diesel w/ incredible power. because of the new '07 low sulpher engine emissions coming out do yourself a favor & buy an '06 or older but stay away from the pre 94 non-powerstroke fords. they're non-turbo & slow. if i was going to buy a truck today i'd either get another dodge or try a ford. as far as mileage i get about 18mpg around town.

Done tons of diesel research.... I used to pull a 44 foot enclosed race car trailer with a GVWR of 18,000lbs.

Chevy - GMC: Great motor made by Izuzu. It makes good power and is silky smooth and quiet. It just doesn't put the torque to the road as quickly as the others. This is the diesel you want if you are occasionally towing or doing heavy work but for the most part it's your daily driver and you'd like the quietest, smoothest, diesel on the market

Dodge - The Cummins is the direct oppisite of the Izuzu in the GM rigs. It's loud, rough, and raw. Puts the torque down at the lowest RPM of any and makes gobs of power. Only comes with a 4 speed auto (instead of a 5 speed auto) if you don't want to row the gears yourself with the 6 speed manual.

Ford - The Navistar Powerstroke is the best combo of what folks are looking for and it is why you see more of them than any other diesel on the road. All the teething problems with the new 6.0 Liter engine are gone. They get great mileage, they are relatively quiet, the make plenty of power. A great all around motor. It is also why you see an version of this motor in tons of new school busses, and medium duty commercial chassis like wreckers, utility bodies, etc.

i looked at all 3 (ford, gm & dodge) when buying my truck. i don't like the duramax because of the iron block & aluminum heads being dissimilar metals and all that heat & high compression. however it's a gm/isuzu engine & appears to be a good motor. at the time i was looking ford had just released the new powerstroke and it was a total piece of sh!t. computer problems, sudden loss of power, leaks & more. new trucks sitting on the lot even had puddles under them. ford has since fixed the problems & appears to be ok. i chose the dodge because i like the cummins. it's been around a long time & is actually a medium duty diesel w/ incredible power. because of the new '07 low sulpher engine emissions coming out do yourself a favor & buy an '06 or older but stay away from the pre 94 non-powerstroke fords. they're non-turbo & slow. if i was going to buy a truck today i'd either get another dodge or try a ford. as far as mileage i get about 18mpg around town.

ihave a duramax diesel in my 2004 gmc 2500 hd i have had no problems with it it has been a very reliable truck it take a beating espcially during the winter when i am out plowing snow and going off road during the construction season

I have a 06 chevy duramax, and nock on wood, its a great truck. I only have 2500 miles on it and im getting around 18mpg. Check out dieselplace.com, there is tons of info on all makes.

I have a 06 chevy duramax, and nock on wood, its a great truck.  I only have 2500 miles on it and im getting around 18mpg.  Check out dieselplace.com, there is tons of info on all makes.

try the dieselpage.com also great site for chevy diesels

Whatever you get B-rad it better have enough ground clearance for train tracks....

Done tons of diesel research.... I used to pull a 44 foot enclosed race car trailer with a GVWR of 18,000lbs.

Chevy - GMC:  Great motor made by Izuzu.  It makes good power and is silky smooth and quiet.  It just doesn't put the torque to the road as quickly as the others.  This is the diesel you want if you are occasionally towing or doing heavy work but for the most part it's your daily driver and you'd like the quietest, smoothest, diesel on the market

Dodge - The Cummins is the direct oppisite of the Izuzu in the GM rigs.  It's loud, rough, and raw.  Puts the torque down at the lowest RPM of any and makes gobs of power.  Only comes with a 4 speed auto (instead of a 5 speed auto) if you don't want to row the gears yourself with the 6 speed manual.

Ford - The Navistar Powerstroke is the best combo of what folks are looking for and it is why you see more of them than any other diesel on the road.  All the teething problems with the new 6.0 Liter engine are gone.  They get great mileage, they are relatively quiet, the make plenty of power.  A great all around motor.  It is also why you see an version of this motor in tons of new school busses, and medium duty commercial chassis like wreckers, utility bodies, etc.

And new EPA regulations effective with the 2007 diesel engine production is going to result in band-aid fixes for the production year. Think about waiting for the 2008 engines so that an engine adequately designed and tested is available.

I have had a 2002 Chevy Duramax and now own a 2006 F-350 Power Stroke. The Ford is a much better truck. I was a Chevy man but the new Ford has all the power you need and it sits like a truck as well. I would buy another power stroke in a minute. Great truck with a lot of power and you can pull down a house if you had to.