Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wcr20

Chicago - 10/24/06

3 posts in this topic

I happen to work down the block from this even this morning it is still smoldering, and the neighborhood has that wet, wood smoke smell.

this went at least 5 alarms (in Chicagoese - a 5-11), plus a at least a level 1 hazmat assignment and at least a level 1 EMS assignment -

The news says at least 300 FFs - and according to a chart i looked at - at least 22 engines, 4 or 5 trucks, 2 squads, 5 ambulance, and a goodly # of comm and command vans, chiefs, and the CFD helo overhead giving the ground command spotter info (this has been standard since the large fire about 2 years ago where there was a loss of 6(?) lives.

here is a link i saw for pictures from the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/...ll=chi-news-hed

(I work in the red building in the background of photo # 1)

I believe the building was vacant, and one news report said that workers were using acetylene torches in the basement.

The building is immediately adjascent to the EL track for the Orange and Greeen Lines which are still out of service, creating a real commute nightmare, as they are afraid that the train vibrations could bring the building down, perhaps onto the tracks.

The building was built in 1887, by the celebrated architects Adler and Sullivan. They incorporated perforated cast iron beams on the rear wall of the building as both decoration and support. This feature, very advanced for its time, is thought to be the only reason that building did not collapse onto the El tracks last night.

There is a good, though old photo if you google map the following: 630 South Wabash Ave. Chicago, IL You can see the tracks immediately behind - it took quite a while to clear and de-energize the tracks yesterday after the chief requested it - at least 2 requests to CTA were made from what I was listening to.

If I find out anything else, I'll let you know.

(First time I have started a topic - if this belonged in a different category - I apologize)

This is the second Adler & Sullivan landmark to be destroyed by fire this year. In January Pilgrim Baptist Church went up like tinder after some roofers, who were seen fleeing the scene, set it off with a torch (obviously no extinguisher on hand).

user posted image

user posted image