Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RocklandFires

Wayne, NJ General Alarm 10/26/06

8 posts in this topic

While working in Wayne on Thursday 10/26/06 I received the 1st of several 9-1-1 calls reporting a working house fire @ 19 Cathyann Court. Since we had 5 dispatchers working and I was due to take my lunch anyway biggrin.gif I took in the fire, which is only about 1 1/2 miles from our Police Headquarters. I arrived with our Police Sgt. & 2 Police Officers to find heavy fire showing from the 2nd floor of a 2 story wood frame private dwelling. Neighbors were unsure if anyone was home, although there were no cars in the driveway. The fire was brought under control in 45 minutes and is under investigation. Only 1 minor hand injury to a Firefighter.

user posted image

1st Arriving Wayne Police Officers Survey the scene

user posted image

Chief-1 sizing up the fire

user posted image

Not even the Halloween Scarecrow could escape the radiant heat !

user posted image

Initial attack line gets stretched off Engine 1-1

user posted image

Masking Up !

user posted image

Truck-4 sets up in front of the fire building

user posted image

Truck-4 puts their stick in operation to knock down the heavy fire

user posted image

Engine 1-1 pumping

user posted image

Initial attack line being pulled out for Truck-4 to go back in service

user posted image

Truck-4's stick & a 2nd hand line in operation

user posted image

Still some pockets of fire in the rear bedroom

user posted image

A final view from the hydrant

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4vVvmjkW-8

That picture of the scarecrow...laugh.gif

Talk about a full service 911 system...you take the calls AND respond! tongue.gif Nice pics and vids as always.

it seems like the truck rolled first, but i might have missed the engine rolling up prior to the truck in the video. i like the idea of rolling the truck first due. it garentees the truck the front of the building, where it should be. it is a lot esier to add another length of hose than it is to add another section to a ladder. it makes sence to roll the truck first, at least as long as you know that the engine is garenteed to respond, and is right behind the truck. these are my opinions so what do other people feel about rolling the truck first due. it seemed to work well in this situation but i know that there are many other situations where it would be impractical

also great photos and videos, some real nice shots

it seems like the truck rolled first, but i might have missed the engine rolling up prior to the truck in the video.  i like  the idea of rolling the truck first due.  it garentees the truck the front of the building, where it should be.  it is a lot esier to add another length of hose than it is to add another section to a ladder.  it makes sence to roll the truck first, at least as  long as you know that the engine is garenteed to respond, and is right behind the truck.  these are my opinions so what do other people feel about rolling the truck first due. it seemed to work well in this situation but i know that there are many other situations where it would be impractical

also great photos and videos,  some real nice shots

Thanks !

In Wayne we have 5 Volunteer Fire Companies. On a reported fire you get 3 of the 5 and on a confirmed fire you get a FAST Team from a 4th company. So from Company 1, Engine 1-1 was 1st due, but arrived behind Company 4's 1st due, Truck-4.

ok thanks for the info. once again, great phots.

Does each have an engine and a truck, or is it one or the other?

Awesome photos. It's always great when you have an oppurtunity to shoot that presents itself like that.

Any word on the cause? It seemed to get going quickly.