Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Cops Shoot, Kill Armed Subject in Newburgh

13 posts in this topic

Cops Shoot, Kill Newburgh activist's son

October 30, 2006

Newburgh — The son of a Newburgh activist was shot and killed by police tonight following a shootout involving another person.

Anthony Bryant, the son of activist Omari Shakur, was gunned down on William Street near Broadway around 8 p.m. tonight, according to Shakur. Bryant was apparently involved in a shootout with another party when police arrived, according to witnesses.

The shooting brought a massive response from police, including police agencies from outside Newburgh and helicoptors flying over the city. A loud crowd taunted the police as they closed in on the scene, but eventually disbursed without major incident.

Details remain sketchy and police were still investigating the incident last night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This brought out a massive police response as rioters started to destroy police cars and attempted to gain entry to St Lukes Hospital. Rioters also made threats to Mobile Life EMS crews for not saving the kid.

Was this a brother of Tupac Shakur? Maybe some of you younger types on here can enlighten me.

Also, unfortunately this won't be the last we here about this ......

Something like this happened in CT where I grew up. The officer was cleared by the Town, State, and FBI for using justifiable deadly force when an assailant tried to ram him with his vehicles after a chase. Every year on the anniversary up until the officer's retirement, the mother had a march through town.. probably for no other reason to than to taunt him. Threats were also made against fire and EMS for "not doing their job."

I guess like anything else, it was easier for mom to blame others than accept the reality that her son tried to kill an officer... My two cents.

I dont know about CT, but in NY, as far as I know pt assment goes something like..

1.BSI/...scene safety...

Hey, can someone please update the title of this thread...

The cops didn't shoot an activist's son. They shot an armed subject involved in a shoot-out with another person. They didn't know he was a paroled felon and also the son of a local activist until the smoke cleared.

Let the media spin it that way!

wink.gif

And does anyone know if there was another shooting in Newburgh last night. Listening to the radio this morning they made it sound as though police were shot at again in a subsequent incident.

Edited by Chris192

Hey, can someone please update the title of this thread...

The cops didn't shoot an activist's son.  They shot an armed subject involved in a shoot-out with another person.  They didn't know he was a paroled felon and also the son of a local activist until the smoke cleared.

Let the media spin it that way!

wink.gif

And does anyone know if there was another shooting in Newburgh last night.  Listening to the radio this morning they made it sound as though police were shot at again in a subsequent incident.

I was dispatching in New Windsor PD last night when all this happened. There was a lot of mayham that followed the officers shooting the ARMED FELON who shot at them. Numerous people swarmed the crime scene trying to push officers out of the way and trying to provoke police officers to take action. Then they swarmed the ER at St Lukes Hospital and tried to gain access to an officer that was being treated. THEN, they started to swarm PD HQ and they were causing problems for the officers and dispatchers trying to work the desk and field the hundreds of phone calls they were getting.

We had extra cars on last night in New Windsor being Halloween Eve and all. 11 of our units ended up assisting the City of Newburgh PD for almost 3 hours. The Town of Newburgh PD sent 10 cars and their SWAT Team as requested by Lt. Broe of the City PD. The City activated their SWAT Team, Spring Valley (Rockland) sent Tac Officers along with Woodbury and Monroe PD. NYSP had multiple cars on scene and their aviation unit. OC Sheriffs Office, Town of Montgomery PD and the Town of Cornwall PD also had units in the City. There were multiple reports of fights and shootings which I have been unable to confirm at this time.

Well I go to college here in Newburgh at Mount Saint Marys... All I have to say was that all I heard was sirens and saw flashing lights for a long time... At one point they suppously had the campus on lockdown... But it was one heck of a night Im guessing for those on the force...

It breaks my heart to hear that the ARMED FELON who SHOT at the POLICE didn't make it!

well you shoot at the police you are not going to win you land up dead

Cops Shoot, Kill Newburgh activist's son

October 30, 2006

Chris192 - I'm sorry if you disaprove of the title, but it was taken directly from the Times Herald Record.

Many words can describe how I feel about this perp but I think this biggrin.gif explains how I feel.

On another note, the suspect who was shot by police in Beacon last week is still alive and was moved over the weekend to Westchester Medical Center. mad.gif

The Times Herald Record has so many different stories. Unfortunately they all only contain bits and pieces of the "truth". The perpetrator shot 6 shots before the police ever returned fire, according to the news. I think that says a lot about the officers and their respect for life. The officer that returned fire is a decorated officer for the City of Newburgh. Keep him in your prayers tonight as he goes through this tough time. I think that any one of us would want the same consideration if we were in his shoes.

Edited by ace84

ACE84,

The officer that returned fire is a decorated officer for the City of Newburgh. Keep him in your prayers tonight as he goes through this tough time. I think that any one of us would want the same consideration if we were in his shoes.

AMEN BROTHER!

Working for the neighboring Police Department I can vouch for the integrity of the entire City of Newburgh PD. In the 6 1/2 years that I have dispatched for the Town of New Windsor PD I have seen nothing but respect for human life on behalf of the Newburgh Officers. These officers work in the worst part of Orange County. There are plenty of other higher paying and easier PD jobs around the area, but these guys choose to work in Newburgh. On a daily basis they have to deal with criminals who hate them and the uniform they wear.

A year and a half ago when New Windsor Detective Marty Mitchetti was killed in an off duty construction job, the Brass and the Officers of the City of Newburgh PD stepped up and assisted my department in our time of mourning. Lt. Charles Broe came in on his own time and took charge of things that needed to be done. Many of his own guys came in on their own time and worked the streets of New Windsor during funeral services.

NONE of this ever made it into the Times Herald Record (aka The Middletown Misprint)

Edited by trauma74