Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Portland Rooftop: First Thing That Comes To Mind

7 posts in this topic

As part of a new feature on FireEMSAlpha.com, please tell me the first thing that comes to mind when you see this photo, as it would relate to you having to operate at the scene pictured.

I will then spin the comments onto this thread into a article on FireEMSAlpha.com.

Here we go:

(Photos linked so you can see better photos)

http://www.emtbravo.com/PortlandRoof1.jpg

http://www.emtbravo.com/PortlandRoof2.jpg

START!

Edited by x635

Works for me, well it has a nice parapet to help aid in a firefighter not walking off the roof on either side. With regards to the roof it self very cluttered, multiple tripping hazards including wires which bring an electrical shock hazard, ventilation shafts, and multiple air-conditioning units. The building looks very run down and neglected there appears to be loose debris on the roof. this also brings into question how stable the roof may be due to neglect and the clutter also a factor is the location of the fire and its impingement on the roof it self. Not to mention the large amount of weight put upon the roof by all the A/c units and debris and so forth. This amount of weight coupled with a few Firefighters conducting roof ops could bring about the failure and subsequent collapse of the roof.

its also hard to tell but looks as though this is a pretty tall building with roof access via the ladder in the A-D side, most likely and aerial ladder wont reach and there doesn’t appear to be access form an attach building. Also this brings into questions the ability to access the roof via the interior stairs and this depends upon the location of the fire. This brings about the lack of 2 means of egress for companies operating on the roof.

Also based upon the look and age of the structure it doesn’t appear to be truss construction on the roof but yet you can never be totally sure till you’re in there. some times its best if your on the top floor the poke a hole in the ceiling and or push up a drop ceiling and attempt to get a quick look of what type of construction is above your because in a matter of minutes it will be below you.

Edited by HFD23

First thing....wow that's a lot of $hit. IC needs to be immediately notified of the loads on that roof.

Second...some kinda of heavy duty stuff going on or once going on in that building. Hard to totally tell but it does look like it could be vacant. I'm gonna be a little less aggressive on a vacant building. I see no reason to risk myself or my crew over nothing. There are multiple air handlers, the one that is IFO the shed is a fairly old model and is a very significant load.

If this roof was well involved I would consider utilizing adjacent buildings to stretch handlines for extinguishment.

I agree w/ HFD doesn't appear to be truss, more fire resistive which is in line with codes for a building that height, but then again always expect the unexpected.

Great picture.

Edited by alsfirefighter

I wonder what that roof looks like at night?

Without seeing the entire picture, it looks like heavy timber construction. The exposure 4 building looks like it has a FE, and MOST times, this indicates a nonfireproof, which is usually under 8 stories. If that is the case, the aerial is your only option to the roof. It looks like only 1 bulkhead, and if it is NFP construction, the stairs are out as an option. If it is a top floor fire, I wouldnt be spending too much time on this roof, if at all. But, like has been said, it depends on the extent and location of the fire. If an interior attack is to be made, that bulkhead should be opened. All this should be preplanned, though, and put into some sort of CIDS to be read upon dispatch.

As for whether it is vacant or not, if it is, it still must be searched. Buildings usually dont just spontaneously combust. Squatters, workers, etc, might still be in the building.

Heavy fire load would deff be a concern depending on what the fire floor is and how close it is to the top floor. Looks to have an escape ladder giving an alternative plan of egress along with a fire escape on the adjasent exposure. Just a few first thoughts