Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest bibbles10504

NFPA Helmet lifetime regulations?

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew if the NFPA has a regulation on how long a helmet can be used, and after a certain number of years do you need to get a new one?

any information you have would be great.

Thanks in advance

No, NFPA 1851 does not set definitive service life values for helmets or any other part of PPE. What they do state is the following:

Organizations need to recognize that these items do not have an indefinite life span and that regular inspections are a necessary part of any protective equipment program.

and

Retirement criteria should be based on a number of factors, including but not limited to: the overall condition of the item, specific deterioration of materials or components beyond their repair economically, or the inability to adequately remove hazardous materials, and other contaminants. Physical damage from use or improper cleaning are other factors that can affect when an item should be retired. The actual service life of ensembles and ensemble elements will vary depending upon the amount of their use and the care they receive.

Thanks. What would you say is the maximum lifespan of a helmet, just based on expirence? Assuming helmet has minimal visible damage

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew if the NFPA has a regulation on how long a helmet can be used, and after a certain number of years do you need to get a new one?

any information you have would be great.

Thanks in advance

NFPA 1851 - revision due next year the possible amendment will include a retirement life of 10 years for the entire protective envelope - Tunrnouts and helmets -

Thanks. What would you say is the maximum lifespan of a helmet, just based on expirence? Assuming helmet has minimal visible damage

I've seen leather helmets last for 20+ years if taken care of properly. I've also seen them deteriorate after just a few years because they were neglected. When in doubt it's best to have it checked by an expert, as I don't feel you can really go by the law of averages with something critical like this. Just out of curiosity, how old and what type is the helmet you're wondering about?

I've seen leather helmets last for 20+ years if taken care of properly. I've also seen them deteriorate after just a few years because they were neglected. When in doubt it's best to have it checked by an expert, as I don't feel you can really go by the law of averages with something critical like this. Just out of curiosity, how old and what type is the helmet you're wondering about?

I've seen them last 30yrs! That's even after baking them occassionally in a conventional oven @ 500 degrees. rolleyes.gif

On turnouts the span of 8-10 years has been commonly used the logic behind it is that amount of time spans 2 nfpa changes. This ways your gear will never fall too far behind especially if there are important changes even if the garment is properly taken care of.

I've seen them last 30yrs! That's even after baking them occassionally in a conventional oven @ 500 degrees. 

LOL!!! biggrin.gif

OR... Stand up in the Burn Building for a few minutes.

Bibbles, did you ever call Bullard like I suggested? If so, what did they say?

Yea I did, they really didn't give me a real answer but they told me to refer to the website... This is what it said

"Time

This may be one of the most dangerous conditions that goes undetected for retiring equipment. Perception is that a helmet should last the career of a firefighter. Plus, there is the element of the tried, seasoned veteran or "60 mission" look that most firefighters like. Helmets can and are kept in service often well past their useful life. The only savings is that most of them are never called upon to take a severe impact so the degradation is never realized. All elements of the firefighter’s ensemble will and do "wear out". Frequent inspection with trained/educated eyes are needed to determine if a helmet can remain in service. These inspections should increase in frequency and their level of scrutiny as helmets get older. Just because it looks OK does not always hold true. Remember two important points: Looks can be deceiving, and it is your head that could be exposed. Is it really worth it? I would rather have that great, worn, battle scarred memento adorning my home mantel as a conversation piece than my tombstone."

Here is the web adress if anyone wants to take a look

http://www.bullard.com/Fire_Rescue/helmet_book/index.shtml

section 9 is where it talks about the helmets

NFPA 1851 - revision due next year the possible amendment will include a retirement life of 10 years for the entire protective envelope - Tunrnouts and helmets -

Another gimmick to make sure that they can sell more gear.....

I've seen them last 30yrs! That's even after baking them occassionally in a conventional oven @ 500 degrees.

How True........ but I did get a belly laugh.

It may be another gimmick to sell more gear, but personally, I like the idea of replaceing gear every ten years. I mean, my gear is older than the oldest engine we have in serivce. It has sun damage and whatnot from being so old, now correct me if I am wrong, but I think that sun damage weakens the integrity of the fabric. I may be relatively new to this, but Im not so sure thats a reason to have gear thats far older than I am. I think when it comes to our safety we deserve to have the latest and greatest, what we do in the first place isnt so safe to begin with, but if there is any advantage, I want to take it. As for the helmet thing, I dont know much about that, but I know that any gear that is not maintained well is not going to last as long as gear that is. Just my views smile.gif

It may be another gimmick to sell more gear, but personally, I like the idea of replaceing gear every ten years. I mean, my gear is older than the oldest engine we have in serivce. It has sun damage and whatnot from being so old, now correct me if I am wrong, but I think that sun damage weakens the integrity of the fabric. I may be relatively new to this, but Im not so sure thats a reason to have gear thats far older than I am. I think when it comes to our safety we deserve to have the latest and greatest, what we do in the first place isnt so safe to begin with, but if there is any advantage, I want to take it. As for the helmet thing, I dont know much about that, but I know that any gear that is not maintained well is not going to last as long as gear that is. Just my views smile.gif

As associate Pville member, let me guess, you got one of the 'purple' sets of turnout gear that sat towards the front of the fire house for years. Watch the integrity on the gear. We had some sets among the first bunker pant/short coat sets (purchased around 1994/95) where the interior fabric of the bunker pants dry rotted. Most Pville's gear isn't to bad, it was slow to get the bunker sets,at first , but the oldest sets are now about 15 years old. When I went to associate membership last year, I still had my original 'test' bunker pants( among the first pants bought ) in 1992. It was time for those to be retired.