Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFDCAR5

Off duty weapon

4 posts in this topic

What are your departments requirements to caryy an off duty weapon? Do you have to qualify with it, and if so what ais the course like?

My department allows ous to carry an off duty weapon nothing smaller than our 40 S&W and we must qualify on the same course as our duty weapon. Most of my shift carry the "baby Glock" off duty and as a back up weapon on duty.

Why would your Dept. limit caliber size on the LOW end?

My wording may be off, we are not allowed to carry anything smaller than a 40 cal

What are your departments requirements to caryy an off duty weapon? Do you have to qualify with it, and if so what ais the course like?

My department allows ous to carry an off duty weapon nothing smaller than our 40 S&W and we must qualify on the same course as our duty weapon. Most of my shift carry the "baby Glock" off duty and as a back up weapon on duty.

In my department we qualify twice a year which includes day/night pistol (we carry Glock 37), day/night shotgun and day/night combat course pistol only. Off duty we can carry just about anything as long as we can qualfy on the same course of fire for our duty weapon. There was a time some of the officers would carry revolvers as off duty weapons but the course of fire time lines are so stingent now it's not easy to load/reload and make your time. Most of our officers carry a smaller Glock or SW off duty.