Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

New Jersey EMT Critically Injured Responding to a Call

7 posts in this topic

On Wednesday morning, June 30, 2004, a member of the Marlboro First Aid Squad (Monmouth County, NJ) was critically injured while responding to his building to answer a call.

Ron Tornberg, 48, has been an EMT and member with the Marlboro First Aid Squad for the past 3 1/2 years. As of this writing, he remains in a drug induced coma after suffering from head trauma and other injuries.

On that day, while responding to a call, Ron's personal SUV vehicle was struck in the rear corner panel which then caused his vehicle to flip and rollover several times. Unfortunately, Ron was not wearing his seat belt and was ejected through the sunroof of his vehicle and thrown approximately 25 feet away. A couple of his fellow squad members who were also responding to the call, came upon the accident and began treating their EMS "brother".

The original call went to mutual aid. Ron was flown by medivac to a trauma center.

This certainly demonstrates the dangers that we all face each and every day as we discharge our duties in serving our respected communities. It also illustrates the importance of wearing a seat belt. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ron, his family and the membership of the Marlboro First Aid Squad during these very trying times. Due to the fact that Ron remains in ICU, only family members are permitted to visit.

Cards and well wishes may be sent to:

Ron Tornberg

c/o Marlboro First Aid

P.O. Box 128

Marlboro, NJ 07746

Article written by John Butterweck

23rd District Vice Chairman - NJSFAC

It also illustrates the importance of wearing a seat belt.

[-o<

Also note that in the case of the FDNY EMT who was killed in and DWI MVA ,while responding to a reported shoting, the seat belt issue came up. The legal team for the defense argued that his client didn't kill the EMT but it was because he was not wearing the seat belt.

What was the outcome of the trial with that defense?

Mike

That's retarded!! If his client hadn't been drinking and driving, the seatbelt wouldn't have been an issue!!!!

I know Ron, as I am a member of Englishtown-Manalapan First Aid, which is the Squad in the next town down from Marlboro. (MFAS is only about 2 miles from my house, right on the other side of the border.) Last I heard, Ron was recouperating well.