Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CHIEFPHIL

FF's under 18 riding in Apparatus

5 posts in this topic

In my department, junior members (16-18) are permitted to do a number of things. I am currently 17, which means that I cannot become an interior FF even if I take FF1, and whether or not I go on certain calls is up to the crew chief (really gory ambulance calls, for example). I'm also not supposed to respond to mutual aid calls, although that isn't enforced so much, and I can't respond after 10 pm on a schoolnight. However, I am allowed to ride both the ambulance and the engine, and I am allowed to perform whatever skills the officers deem appropriate, under supervision. While I'm under 18 I am kept out of dangerous, volatile situations, but a lot of what I can do is based on my level of maturity and skill, not age.

http://hcfep.org/Guidelines_for_Minor_FF.pdf

Here is the link with the afore mentioned letter regarding minors in CT.

Hey Phil,

Didn't they just recently change the refilling air bottles? I though 16 & 17 yo's could if monitored by a active firefighter and the bottles being filled are enclosed in a NFPA / OSHA approved filling frag station?

I might be thinking something else on this though.

Hey Phil,

Didn't they just recently change the refilling air bottles?  I though 16 & 17 yo's could if monitored by a active firefighter and the bottles being filled are enclosed in a NFPA / OSHA approved filling frag station?

I might be thinking something else on this though.

Using a compressor or a cascade or the newer type booster pump cascade system wold be considered machinery [industrial] so being under 18 would prohibit under the CT labor laws.

I know this is a cramp.... for years I hoped for these kids to show up at a job so I could free up an interior firefighter.

Well I talked with the DOL last week. I found the person I spoke with to be very friendly and helpful and went over all my questions with me.

As for riding apparatus, they most certainly can, if they have recieved propper training, in riding. That is basically how to sit safely. They also have to use all safety devices that are provided, like seatbelts, or man saver bars.

I am curently working on translating the DOT rules into our internal SOP, and then I will be sending it to DOL for review.

The only two sections I really disagree with are the no overhaul and no hydrants rules. But these are the rules and we must adapt to them. The DOL enforcement officer I spoke with did say it was OK the hand stratch 5 & 6 inch lines to a hydrant, as long as the minors did not hook up to the hydrant or operate the hydrant.