Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jybehofd

Personality conflicts

3 posts in this topic

I need some help, lately several people have been coming to me in my department with issues they have with an EMT that makes alot of calls. I have had issue with this EMT in the past too. Actually are really long history of mostly butting heads and still do. The reason why we but heads all the time is that there lack of profesionalism on a call and they manner in which they treat other EMTs while they are on the ambulance. I have been told that nothing can really be done because of the amount of calls this EMT makes. I was wondering if anyone has this same issue in there VAC. It has gotten to the point where other EMTs don't want to go on calls because of this specific EMT. It has be handle with delicate hands though.... please any thoughts on this would be great.

I have someone like this in my department, too; in fact, she's one of the lieutenants above me. From reading your post, it seems as if the individual of which you are speaking acts in a manner similar to the individual on my department. The best way to handle things is to sit the person down one-on-one and try to talk things out. Then, if things escalate, bring the issue to your department's executive board. I'm sure that your organization has a constitution or at the very least, a mission statement, so if the individual's lack of professionalism is something so profound, then it might be a violation of your department's established guidelines. On an EMS scene, any lack of professionalism that other members of your department see, is also seen by the general public. Lastly, if all else fails, then sit back, wait, and give this individual just enough rope to hang his/herself. Just remember, everyone makes a mistake at some time or another, and when you have someone who isn't that professional or thinks that he/she is always right, chances are that when they do screw up, it will be big.

Look, the fact of the matter is that this world is filled with a whole variety of people. Unfortunately some of those people are, well, a*******. Weather it be work, school, friends, family or volunteering everyone is going to have to learn to deal with these types of people. If a particular member is preventing people from taking in calls then i think they should reconsider their choice to volunteer. Any institution, volunteer, professional, government, etc. (in my eyes) is just a microcosm of the world we live in - hence its going to have its share of a******* - learn how to deal with and work with these people (this is even more important when we are talking about patient care). Now if this member is endangering patient care/scene safety thats a different issue that needs to be addressed through the proper channels regardless of how many calls he/she responds to.