Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest EMSwhitecloud

Training Ideas

11 posts in this topic

I was wondering if i could get some ideas from some of the EMT's on some training I could do with my youth groupers after meetings, I'm running out of things to do.

What kind of stuff have you done in the past?

Most basic stuff concerning first aid and CPR also PCR's. When one of our jouniors is in EMT class we go over some of the things they are learning but very briefly.

an excellent training drill is familiarization with equipment use and placement, not only in YG supplies but ambulances as well. This could be done on an individual basis or in groups, using an initial quiz on where equipment is. Anyone that gets anything wrong would be shown the correct location. This can go along way when someone asks a youth grouper for something, and there are able to get it quickly. obviously the quiz isnt meant to be too hard, so dont ask where the strobe pack and power relay is on the bus :D...use commonly used equipment, the same stuff that they would be asked to use in a real run.

good advice coming from an excellent ex-captain of the YG...who never talks to a certain someone anymore.....but thanks for the idea :wink:

A suggestion, reach out to your local FD and see if they can get together and do Technical Rescue and / or Vehicle Rescue stuff with you. Its a great way to keep them interested, and possibly motivate them to get into the Fire/Rescue service as well.

As Rememer585 said and DG795 can elaborate, Yorktown FD also recently formed an Explorer/Junior Firefighter Program....Maybe you can "form an alliance" and drill together, and maybe some will be attracted or grow a greater respect for EMS/learn to work together better earlier.

or even drill with mohegan...there are a few ems riding members under 18.

Why dont you make it like a game for the junior corps.Right each item on your ambulances inventory on a card. Have them pick a card from a hat and time who can retrieve or set up the equipment correctly and safely the quickest...

Mike

Good Idea mikerabbit. Mohegan does that with the in probationary members of Mohegan with the fire apparatus. The night that they are allowed to respond to calls, each "probie" has to go through "Special Olympics". The senior members ask questions and ask the probie to get tools and show the operation of each. This works well in familiarization and correct operation. Mohegan FD VAC also does this to a small degree when training EMS members.

Another idea is, with today's internet world, give them each a little topic and have them research it and do a small oral presentation on the topics you give them. It will give them something to learn and the ability to communicate at a higher level as well.