Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wcr20

New Chicago FD chief's trucks

10 posts in this topic

Several years ago - Chicago FD changed from Crown Vics to Explorers for the various officers. 2006, it seems, is the year of the F-series.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tfish/133238856/

Photo by Flickr user: T Fish

Given that the picture seems to date from April, I guess its less recent a change than I thought - I first saw one only a month or so ago. 4-6-6 is one of the Fire Marshals vehicles.

Just thought it was a cool picture to share.

Several years ago - Chicago FD changed from Crown Vics to Explorers for the various officers.  2006, it seems, is the year of the F-series.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tfish/133238856/

Photo by Flickr user: T Fish

Given that the picture seems to date from April, I guess its less recent a change than I thought - I first saw one only a month or so ago.  4-6-6 is one of the Fire Marshals vehicles.

Just thought it was a cool picture to share.

About a year and half ago about three (if I'm correct) of the Pick up Trucks were purchased for the Bureau of Fire Investigation.The 46- numbered series are the Fire Investigators.This summer we put one of the pick ups in service at Battalion 3 but I presume that it is a test or experiment.I personally don't like that type of rig for the "Buggy's" (Chiefs vehicles).Our Deputy District chiefs were recently assigned new SUVS after using Sedans for many years.I think that Chiefs should have completely enclosed vehicles and not Pickup Trucks especially in the climate we have here where things freeze up in the winter.

Work I had is that a few chiefs have them to try out, the rest are still in the Explorers - which goes right along with what you said.

Funny - I didnt even know there was another Chicagoan on the boards.

Work I had is that a few chiefs have them to try out, the rest are still in the Explorers - which goes right along with what you said. 

This is my first post as I just became a verified member. I recently found out that Morton Grove Engine 4 received a new Quint and that North Maine Township received a new Quint as well.

About a month and a half ago I was on a bus near Touhy and Milwaukee Avenues and I saw a Quint about a block ahead of the bus going in the same direction but I couldn't make out what Fire Department it was from.I had assumed that it was coming from Niles Station 3 but it could have been the Morton Grove or North Maine unit for all I know unless Niles received a Quint also?

Edited by firepost

Given the sour opinions about the red/black Chicago FD apparatus color scheme, we've had to be lurkers!

Firepost -

At Milwaukee and Touhy - that would have to be the new Morton Grove E4 - 2006 Smeal 75'. I previously sent Seth a few shots of it to post, I assume its on his pile to get to. Runs outta station 4 a few blocks from my house. Niles has Ladder 2, a tractor drawn stick, which is notoriously down for maintenence, I understand, and just bought a used ladder (or tower, not sure which) as a backup - which also has been OOS a lot lately. My understanding is that MG is the only quint in the area, but I cannot say that for 100% sure.

Firepost -

At Milwaukee and Touhy - that would have to be the new Morton Grove E4 - 2006 Smeal 75'.  I previously sent Seth a few shots of it to post, I assume its on his pile to get to.  Runs outta station 4 a few blocks from my house.  Niles has Ladder 2, a tractor drawn stick, which is notoriously down for maintenence, I understand, and just bought a used ladder (or tower, not sure which) as a backup - which also has been OOS a lot lately.  My understanding is that MG is the only quint in the area, but I cannot say that for 100% sure.

Speaking of the Niles Illinois Fire Department (suburb of Chicago),I just saw a photo of a 4th Alarm in Prospect Heights on the Net with a photo of a rear mounted Aerial Ladder Quint with the Aerial extended and the rig was marked for the Niles Fire Department with a number 2 on the side.Perhaps that's that rig that you are talking about?It looks as if that new rig may have replaced Ladder 2 as the new rig was numbered which spare rigs usually are not.

the following link goes to the page for Niles - it shows a pic of the 'real' or primary ladder 2:

http://www.vniles.com/Content/templates/?a=57

They recently bought a used reserve from someone els in the area - I've never seen it myself so I dont know how its labeled or numbered. However, if you saw a 2006 Smeal Quint with a big gold 4 on it - thats definitely Morton Grove.

Nice rigs for the Chiefs, too bad theyre fords....CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY