Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest x901

Nextel Promo Video Featuring Empress & Jacobi

9 posts in this topic

Wow back when laura was an EMT!! When was this shot??

Vinny- if i remember correctly......... it was late 2005, Laura was still an EMT and was working w\ Matt on Medic 40

Funny thing though, Not too long ago I used to see signs all over the hospitals forbidding the use of cell phone communications. Is there something different about the Direct Connect? Or has the technology in medical/diagnostic equipment changed?

Just curious.

Funny thing is, Jacobi trauma teams actually uses nextels (they did the last time i was there in 05) to request certain tests be prepared for the pt. or to alert another doc of what was going on.

There was an article that I saw a year or so back on a study that found that more patients died as a result of not being able to get in touch with a doctor because their cellphones were turned off, then died from RF interference with medical equipment.

A good video - and the Empress folks looked good - congrats...

Now though, as long as I am commenting, I note the following [a bit off topic, and not meant to 'bash' any person or company...]

I can remember back when I was still a New Yorker, meeting with a few Nextel reps - granted it was about 8 years ago - who wouldn't "allow" us to use Nextels for anything deemed emergency services communications or dispatch, as, I suppose, they didnt want the responsibility or liability for messages that were delayed or did not go through. I suppose that the networks of 2006 are way different (better?) from those of 1998 or so.

However, I also wonder about this some, as so many of you folks are Nextel users and there have been so many threads on here about the unreliability of the network.

Disclaimer: I have never had my own Nextel, but I have used them occaisionally, and know many in Emergency services, both in NY and IL that do use them daily. This comment not intended to sidetrack this thread, or start another Nextel debate. So there.

I can remember back when I was still a New Yorker, meeting with a few Nextel reps - granted it was about 8 years ago - who wouldn't "allow" us to use Nextels for anything deemed emergency services communications or dispatch, as, I suppose, they didnt want the responsibility or liability for messages that were delayed or did not go through.  I suppose that the networks of 2006 are way different (better?) from those of 1998 or so. 

Departments that use the nextels for emergency communication can now be set up for priority service. So if there is another major event and everyone clogs up the cell phones, those emergency personel can still get thru as an emergency serivce priority.

Times / technology has changed. If only Alexander Grahm Bell could see it now!

As long as the Nextel network is functional...which as we all know, is down in some areas more than its up.