Followers 0
x635

Mahopac Fire Dept Plans New Headqurters

8 posts in this topic

Mahopac fire squad plans new headquarters

By BARBARA LIVINGSTON NACKMAN 

THE JOURNAL NEWS 

(Original publication: August 7, 2004)

MAHOPAC — The Mahopac Volunteer Fire Department is planning a $5.7 million headquarters building to allow larger, taller trucks to fit in the garage bays and to better serve the community, officials said yesterday. 

The Putnam County Industrial Development Agency said it would issue tax-exempt bonds to fund the project. 

The plan ultimately would be paid for by property owners in the Mahopac Fire District, including the Lake Casse, Lake Mahopac and Mahopac Ridge neighborhoods and the hamlet's main business area. 

"Our current building is beyond its life span," Fire Commissioner Joe Smith said of the headquarters at Croton Falls Road and Route 6, which was built in 1948 and renovated in 1967. 

"We've been hashing this out for a number of years, and this seems to be the best way." 

A public hearing on the proposed 22,000-square-foot building will begin at 10 a.m. Aug. 18 at the Industrial Development Agency's offices, 34 Gleneida Ave., Carmel. 

Department leaders said they studied renovating the current building but found that the cost would be greater than constructing a new building at its site at Route 6 and Croton Falls Road. 

The new building would have higher bays — 14 feet rather than the current 10 feet to 12 feet — and would feature a kitchen, a lounge for members and an expanded meeting room. 

The structure would be set farther back on the 3.7-acre site, making it easier and safer for the 47-foot trucks to enter and exit each bay, department President Edward Scott said. 

It would be a brick, colonial-style building. 

The project also calls for upgrading some equipment, but specific details have not been determined. 

Dorothy Griffith, branch manager of the Marshall and Sterling insurance agency in Mahopac, said being able to house state-of-the-art firefighting equipment could translate to a savings for property owners. 

"Better equipment could reduce insurance costs for the community," she said, explaining that a municipality's fire protection is rated and taken into account when individual insurance rates are quoted. 

She said she was not familiar with the department's specific plans for expansion. 

With 5,665 parcels, the Mahopac department is the town of Carmel's largest fire district, according to town records. Mahopac Falls has 4,445 parcels, followed by 2,400 in Carmel and 123 in the Putnam County portion of Croton Falls. 

Officials said that last year there were about 850 fire calls. The department also encompasses the community's volunteer ambulance services, which handled 600 ambulance calls last year. 

The Carmel Town Board would have to approve an increase in funding for the department. 

The department is organized as a fire protection district and, under New York state law, does not need voter approval for its funding. It is contracted by the town of Carmel and is negotiating a new five-year plan, officials said. 

Property owners now pay $1.09 per $1,000 of assessed property value for fire protection, which rose from 81 cents last year. A property owner whose home is valued at $173,100 pays $188.70 a year for the service. 

Because of variable interest rates and bond terms, it was unclear yesterday how much the building would cost property owners. 

Interest rates are relatively low, making it a good time to bond a project, IDA Chairman Joseph Girven said. The application for financing assistance was dated March 10. 

A $7.9 million new Mahopac Public Library, which opened in March, for example, is costing an average property owner in the school district less than $54 a year. 

The corps, with 147 active volunteers, serves about 46 percent of the town of Carmel, said Peter Cantone, fire commissioner and board chairman. 

Its annual funding, which this year is $1,254,504, maintains equipment, property and uniforms and also pays the department's insurance. 

"I think the community deserves it and is entitled to the best safety," Cantone said of the new building. 

There are two substations, one at Buckshollow and Union Valley roads and another at Crane Road. 

Just a question, I know at the substation by Route 6 they have the Truck and the Pumper-Tanker twin, but what is at the other substation? Also, does Mahopac plan any new apparatus purchases or relocations with this new house?

I know that Truck 18-5-1 that is stationed at Buckshollow Rd and Union Valley Rd has been stationed there because it does not fit into their Headquarters. The previous tower ladder was an Osh Kosh Low Rider which fit in HQ. I'm assuming that when HQ is expanded, the Tower Ladder will return to Headquaters on Rt 6.

That is the plan. The new HQ should fit our needs for the next 50 years or more. We would like any agency that recently built a new building to contact us so we can find out any problems you had or suggestions that will help us. The membership has approved a preliminary concept for the building and the design process is underway.

For X635, our Station 3 on Long Pond Rd @ Dixon Rd holds 1 first line engine (18-2-3 1977 Oren, being replaced soon by a 2004/5 KME), our antique(1951 Oren) and currently is the home of Alamo Medic 3 for Putnam. It is a 4 bay (double drive through) station built in 1976.

EJS1810

President

Just wanted to wish Mahopac good luck with their new station underway. Hopefully it will come out a little better than our new firehouse in Harmon. LOL

If you guys need any tips on what construction companies not to use give us a shout HAHA

Headquarters Station Rte 6 & Croton Falls Rd

Engine Co. 1

1977 Oren Pumper (18-2-2)

1992 Simon-GK Tanker Pumper (18-4-1)

Truck Co. 1

1985 Hahn/Saulsbury Rescue (18-6-1)

1992 Ford Utility (18-6-2)

EMS Company

1996 Ford/Braun (18-7-2)

2000 Ford Braun (18-7-1)

Station 2 Buckshollow Rd & Union Valley Rd

Engine Co. 2

1994 Simon-GK Tanker Pumper (18-4-2)

2002 E-One 95' Tower Ladder (18-5-1)

Station 3 Crane Rd/Long Pond Rd & Dixon Rd

Engine Co. 3

1977 Oren Pumper (18-2-3)

1951 Oren Antique

I have been involved with one depaertment that went through a fairly major building improvement and I know that the design committee put in a lot of effort to pull the plans off. My only comment would be watch out for the individuals who want to make statements out of the different parts of the project. No one person should make design descisions with out membership approval. This building will stand for atleast 50 years and it is very tempting to pick that special architectual feature and sneak it in and make a statement for yourself.

This was the biggest issue I saw with the last department I was with. Like I said it is a lot of work and I would not want to be the one doing it.

Good luck.

If you would like info on a new station, contact the Town of Bethel Ct [20 minute ride on 84] for the new Stony Hill Station located on Route 6. It is fairly large and you could possibly get a 737 in the bays. All ADA compliant , large offices, gym .