Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJMedic

PL Custom/Rescue 1 Owner dies

6 posts in this topic

All -

I wanted to send out a piece of bad news from here at PL Custom. Yesterday afternoon, around 4:00pm, the owner of PL Custom, Martin "V" Smock, or Bud as he was known by all, passed away unexpectedly. Bud was in working at the plant in the morning, had his daily lunch with the management team, met with customers from Virginia after lunch and then headed home to decorate his Christmas Tree with his wife, Jean. Apparently, while hanging the decorations, Bud started to have some chest pain.

He and Jean got in the car and headed to Jersey Shore Medical Center and, while enroute, Bud became unresponsive. From what the ER docs told the family, Bud had suffered a massive MI and, even if it had occurred in the ER, there was nothing anyone could do. Bud was 76 years old.

2006 was an amazing time for Bud and PL. The company celebrated its 60th Anniversary and is currently building its 25,000 sq. ft. addition. On Tuesday, Bud was interviewed by the Asbury Park Press and was extremely upbeat. I cannot begin to tell you all what a shock this is to us here in Mansaquan.

More will be forthcoming and I will keep you all advised.

Chad

Chad Newsome

Factory Sales Representative

PL Custom / Rescue 1 Emergency Vehicles

2201 Atlantic Avenue

Manasquan, NJ 08736

732.223.1411 ext. 149

732.616.8661 cell

cnewsome@plcustom.com

What a tragedy, especially this time of year. My thoughts and prayers to Bud's friends, family, and all of you at PL Custom. I can only say that I'm sure he's in a better place.

That's really sad. sad.gif I was fortunate enough to meet Bud briefly many years ago when I was still in EMS and we switched from Road Rescue to PL for our rigs. A few of us took a trip down to see the operation and Joe Vasta introduced us to Bud as he happened to be walking through the factory while we were there. He will be missed.

My condolences to his family, friends and the entire PL Custom/Rescue 1 family.

That's really sad. sad.gif I was fortunate enough to meet Bud briefly many years ago when I was still in EMS and we switched from Road Rescue to PL for our rigs. A few of us took a trip down to see the operation and Joe Vasta introduced us to Bud as he happened to be walking through the factory while we were there. He will be missed.

My condolences to his family, friends and the entire PL Custom/Rescue 1 family.

I should have mentioned in my post that this is a copy of the message I received from Chad this morning. I am not Chad. Further information will be available shortly on the PL website www.plcustom.com

Sorry about that.

Although we did not order 2 new buses from PL, I have had the pleasure in the past to talk with Bud. I am sorry for the loss to the PL/Rescue 1 family.