Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CTFF

CT (waterford) firefighter hit by car at scene.

5 posts in this topic

Something to think about...

Waterford - A local man was charged today with assault on a public safety officer after fire officials said he struck a firefighter with his SUV.

William Morell, 47, of 9 Wilson Ave., also was charged with evading responsibility and breach of peace.

The incident happened this morning while firefighters were putting out a car fire on Wilson Avenue, a small dead-end street in Quaker Hill near the Thames River.

Morell's route was being blocked by fire truck so he drove over the fire hose in an attempt to maneuver out of the narrow street, firefighters said.

“He wanted out,” Quaker Hill fire chief Matthew Carson said.

Carson said when firefighters told Morell to stop, he backed up and nearly hit one firefighter.

“He tried to back over Monte, which is my deputy chief,” Carson said.

Deputy Chief Monte Fielder said when firefighter Jason Dickey saw the man backing up toward Fielder, he began banging on the hood of his Mercedes SUV to try to get him to stop. Morell then put the vehicle in forward, knocked Fielder down and took off through the back of a driveway and into the field behind a house, looping around Wilson Avenue houses in an attempt to come out on another part of the street, fire officials said.

His path was blocked by a Cohanzie ambulance.

“I told the police officer, ‘he just ran over one of my guys. I want him arrested now,” Fielder said.

At the time, there was only one Waterford police officer on the scene and the driver apparently resisted arrest, leading three firefighters to jump on the man to aid the officer in making the arrest, fire officials said.

By then, Cohanzie and Quaker Hill firefighters had used foam to put out a fire that destroyed the front end of a silver car parked in a private driveway.

Dickey is being picked up from the hospital this afternoon after being treated for minor injuries.

Deputy Chief Monte Fielder said when firefighter Jason Dickey saw the man backing up toward Fielder, he began banging on the hood of his Mercedes SUV to try to get him to stop. Morell then put the vehicle in forward, knocked Fielder down and took off through the back of a driveway and into the field behind a house, looping around Wilson Avenue houses in an attempt to come out on another part of the street, fire officials said.

His path was blocked by a Cohanzie ambulance."

"At the time, there was only one Waterford police officer on the scene and the driver apparently resisted arrest, leading three firefighters to jump on the man to aid the officer in making the arrest, fire officials said."

%&%**#@#%#$& rich mother #$%^#$^!!!

I hope this guy gets some prison time and then have to scrub every emergency vehicle and fire station!

Is your meeting that important?

He must have been really fighting the cop if the firefighters had to tackle him.

Something to think about...

Waterford - A local man was charged today with assault on a public safety officer after fire officials said he struck a firefighter with his SUV.

William Morell, 47, of 9 Wilson Ave., also was charged with evading responsibility and breach of peace.

The incident happened this morning while firefighters were putting out a car fire on Wilson Avenue, a small dead-end street in Quaker Hill near the Thames River.

Morell's route was being blocked by fire truck so he drove over the fire hose in an attempt to maneuver out of the narrow street, firefighters said.

“He wanted out,” Quaker Hill fire chief Matthew Carson said.

Carson said when firefighters told Morell to stop, he backed up and nearly hit one firefighter.

“He tried to back over Monte, which is my deputy chief,” Carson said.

His path was blocked by a Cohanzie ambulance.

“I told the police officer, ‘he just ran over one of my guys. I want him arrested now,” Fielder said.

At the time, there was only one Waterford police officer on the scene and the driver apparently resisted arrest, leading three firefighters to jump on the man to aid the officer in making the arrest, fire officials said.

By then, Cohanzie and Quaker Hill firefighters had used foam to put out a fire that destroyed the front end of a silver car parked in a private driveway.

Dickey is being picked up from the hospital this afternoon after being treated for minor injuries.

Thank god his injuries are minor. My Dept. runs many MVA's and pin jobs on a busy highway. We see more of them than fire and it worries me to have the guys on the highway. I believe that highway scenes put more personell in danger than working fires. That would be a good topic to start. Anyway again I hope the injuries stay minor and the scrub in the SUV should get taste of the law!!!

Arrow

Thank god his injuries are minor. My Dept. runs many MVA's and pin jobs on a busy highway. We see more of them than fire and it worries me to have the guys on the highway. I believe that highway scenes put more personell in danger than working fires. That would be a good topic to start. Anyway again I hope the injuries stay minor and the scrub in the SUV should get taste of the law!!!

Arrow

I agree - I think everybody does MVA's far more often than structure fires. We've had too many near misses and incidents with aggressive drivers. One adle-brained driver could cream an entire company in an instant. I especially worry about working in busy intersections. Lane closings and cone laying are no-brainers out on interstates, but I see a lot of cutting corners on the smaller roads - and generally I notice that the cars pass the scene a lot faster on side roads. There's gotta be some rule that you only rubberneck on interstates or something. When you have multiple turning lanes, heavy congestion around the scene and fire police conflicting with big arrays of traffic lights, things can get unpredictible.

I agree - I think everybody does MVA's far more often than structure fires.  We've had too many near misses and incidents with aggressive drivers.  One adle-brained driver could cream an entire company in an instant.

http://firefighterclosecalls.com/fullstory.php?38382

Very right! Check out the article listed by the hyperlink. Another close call, and this time its regional.