Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Learning "outside of the box."

5 posts in this topic

First off, let me apologize for not making any new posts in a long, long time.

Hope everyone is well, and everyone has been taking the time to further educate themselves since I last wrote.

During one of my recent night tours, I was surfing the net for some building construction information for a project I'm working on, and came across this site, http://www.mii.com/australia/ , which explained some of our most deadly enemies.

And it made me think - we all work at bettering ourselves as firefighters by going to courses, reading magazines, surfing the web, etc. But we short change ourselves of some other valuable information. Next time you are online and looking for info on building construction, do a google search and check out the results.

Until next time, stay safe and stay smart.

Great Website.

That will sure make you think twice before running into a house with a newer type of building construction. Not only now are the roofs made of those deadly gang-nailers but its looks to me that's the way everything else might be nailed together in the near future.

Hopefully when building new houses and buildings they will put a little "Mitek" symbol up as well!

Nice Post

Great post and something I've preaching for years.

These new construction techniques are amazing in their propensity for failure, although the architects and engineers will never tell you that. If you have any oppurtunity pick up Frank Brannigans books and articles, they can be a bit dry but the information is priceless. Also Vinny Dunn, who is a fount of knowledge in construction and collapse.

Also when your out and about look at the construction going on in your area, if your out in your rig stop by and walk through ( check with the chief first) as buildings are being constructed. You may not be able to do anything to stop the way these traps are being built, but you can sure as hell know when to get out or stay out.

Francis Brannigan " Know your buildings!"

UNFORTUNATLY BUILDNGS ARENT BUILT WITH THE THOUGHT OF FIREFIGHTERS THERE BUILT WITH THOUGHT OF TIME IS MONEY AND MONEY IS TIME. ALL WE CAN DO IS KEEP UP WITH THE BUILDING CONSTRUCTION AND HOPEFULLY NOTHING WILL GO WRONG. GOOD WEBSTIE BY THE WAY 585 :-k

Eye-opening website 585! Since we're on this subject, did anyone see the lightweight roof trusses used in building the new Marbury Corners condos in Pelham?? If we ever have to go up there to do venting operations, set your clocks!! After 5-7 minutes, who knows what could happen?

And, these things are being sold for 500-700 grand....... :roll: