Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arrowxt

Non Vented propane Fireplace

5 posts in this topic

Just looking for a little advice, and want to see if anyone has ran onto any problems before I fire up this thing. It is non-vented and was in the house when I bought it. I am not too happy about the non-vent issue. Any help would be great.

Arrow

While vent free fireplaces are (unfortunately) legal in NY there are several precautions that must be taken.

Get a good CO detector.

Don't use it as a primary heat source.

Additionally, in New York State, they are not allowed in bedrooms, bathrooms, garages or any room less than 60 square feet.

I PUT IN TWO OF THESE TYPES IN MY OLD HOUSE, ONE WAS A GAS LOG SET THE OTHER WAS A FREE STANDING CAST IRON VERMONT STOVE. HAD GREAT SUCCESS WITH BOTH. THEY CAME IN VERY HANDY DURING POWER FAILURES IN THE WINTER AS THEY REQUIRE NO POWER TO OPERATE. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH EITHER.

While vent free fireplaces are (unfortunately) legal in NY there are several precautions that must be taken.

Get a good CO detector.

Don't use it as a primary heat source.

Additionally, in New York State, they are not allowed in bedrooms, bathrooms, garages or any room less than 60 square feet.

Thanks Truck. I do have a good detector and wont be using as a primary, just hate the idea of not having it vented. Also I have a 6 month old in the house which adds to my worries. Maybe it will be on E-bay soon.

Arrow

I PUT IN TWO OF THESE TYPES IN MY OLD HOUSE, ONE WAS A GAS LOG SET THE OTHER WAS A FREE STANDING CAST IRON VERMONT STOVE.  HAD GREAT SUCCESS WITH BOTH.  THEY CAME IN VERY HANDY DURING POWER FAILURES IN THE WINTER AS THEY REQUIRE NO POWER TO OPERATE.  NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH EITHER.

Thanks Capt. I know they should work , but I may sell it and put in a unit with a power vent. I was looking for some advice and appreciate it.

Arrow