Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

Not enough time

1 post in this topic

I say they got off easy or is it just my harsh stance on criminal justice. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Former Pennsylvania Firefighter Gets Prison for Arson

Dec. 12--In May, John Kehler, then a Kidder Township firefighter, doused a vacant building with flammable fluid, set it afire and then, when a fire alarm sounded, returned to the building to fight the blaze.

A few weeks later, Kehler used two containers filled with a mix of gasoline and oil to set fire to another vacant building, and again returned to fight the blaze.

But Kehler didn't set the fire for the thrill of it.

He wanted to die.

"He said he wanted to kill himself in the fire," Kehler's mother told Carbon County Judge David W. Addy during sentencing for her son Monday.

Addy sentenced Kehler, 26, of White Haven, to 11/2 to 4 years in county prison for the arson offenses.

Another firefighter who participated in the arsons, Louis J. Troell, 21, of East Side, got a 2- to 4-year sentence in county jail.

"You violated the trust of the entire community," Addy told them.

A third volunteer firefighter, Ronald G. Kearns, 19, of Dennison Township, Luzerne County, has pleaded guilty to one count each of arson and conspiracy to commit criminal mischief and is scheduled for sentencing next week.

The three men, while sitting at the firehouse on May 21, decided to start fires. That day, they twice tried to start a brush fire on state game lands along Route 534 using a gasoline and oil mix, but failed.

On May 23, Kearns dropped Kehler off near an unoccupied building along Route 940, where Kehler started a blaze. They returned to the fire hall and were among the first to respond to the fire.

Then on June 7, Kehler filled two containers with a mix of oil and gasoline. Kearns went off to wait for the alarm, and Troell drove Kehler to a vacant structure known as the Bear Necessities building, where Kehler started a fire.

The three firefighters eventually confessed to Kidder Township Detective Matthew Kuzma and state police Fire Marshal David Klitsch.

In court, Kehler and Troell, the brother of Kidder Fire Chief David Troell, apologized and said they hope their actions don't reflect on other firefighters.

"I am sorry for the dishonor I placed on Kidder Township Fire Department and my brother firefighters," Kehler said.

That apology drew a sharp rebuke from Lake Harmony Fire Chief Ralph Lennon, whose company also is based in Kidder.

"He's not my brother and he's not a fireman," Lennon said.

Addy called Kehler a "quandary for the court."

Kehler's mother and his public defender, Gregory Mousseau, pointed out that he was struck by a car when he was 13, suffering severe head injuries that required years of treatment.

"From that point on, we noticed ... lack of judgment," his mother said. She said her son tried to set himself on fire on another occasion.

Making matters worse, Kehler was distraught over the breakup of his marriage. He had three children.

Addy said the accident and divorce explain some of his actions.

But Troell had no explanation for his participation.

"There's no logical reason why I did this," Troell said.

Addy quickly dismissed any idea of sending Kehler to state prison, saying he would be "eaten alive." But he considered sending Troell there because he has a record of convictions for receiving stolen property and drugs.

Addy noted that Troell has been on probation and served about a month in county prison.

But he listened to pleas from Troell's mother, Dara, and his pregnant fiancee, Melanie Landry, to keep him in county prison.

"I don't want to sentence your fiancee and your baby to the state," Addy said.

In addition to the jail time, he ordered both men to pay about $95,000 in restitution. He ordered Kehler to get a mental health evaluation and follow all recommendations. Addy pointed out that Kehler refused to take medication in the past.

Finally, he ordered both of them to stay away from fire companies.

"I don't think I would want you protecting my back if I was a firefighter," he said.