Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Noroton,CT Engine 31

15 posts in this topic

Does Noroton, CT (just south of Norwalk,CT) still have this Maxim?

If so, is it an antique or in active service? If in active service, any replacment plans?

It's a beautiful piece.

[attachmentid=1819]

post-11-1167162321.jpg

Appears to still be in active service, serving as a second due rig to the town of Noroton.

http://www.norotonfd.org/Engine31.html

Since I cant figure out how to put my own image on this site (the pic is too big), heres a link to an "ok" shot that I took of this truck at South Salem FD's Parade last summer.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/23856...098339608eVmMox

Edited by BedfordFire

It is still used. Its there third due rig, however with them recieving mutual aid from the other two departments in town the rig sees little use, until parade season. Not sure if they are going to replace it soon or not.

Appears to still be in active service, serving as a second due rig to the town of Noroton.

http://www.norotonfd.org/Engine31.html

Since I cant figure out how to put my own image on this site, heres a link to an "ok" shot that I took of this truck at the South Salem FD Parade this past summer.

http://image22.webshots.com/23/6/44/57/238...ctions/FullSize

Second Link Is Not Working. To put a picture save the pic to your computer in "My Pictures" then when you make your post go to "attachments" and click "browse" select the pic and click "add this attachment" Just like how you would do it on myspace or facebook if you have 1. (The pic can not be to big)

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

yes we still have this rig in service, engine 31 is our second due engine. if u want some pics let me know ill have her pulled out for ya. shes 30+ years old and can still pump forever. shes a real beast!

sr71

noroton fd

if any one was wondering why our engine 31 is yellow and the rest of the fleet, it is because we the department own the truck. and back when they bought it. it was paitned like that to show the town that it is ours. so when your riding past our firehouse and see black over red 30, and 32. but a yellow 31 theres why.

our old ladder was also a open cab maxum. but it was red. and our old 32 was yellow but that was a diffrent era. so now the whole fleet is red over black except 31 and thats the story

who owns your engine 30/32?

the town of darien owns most of the apparatus in town. we own rescue 33, truck 35(pickup) and engine 31.

so the town of darien owns engine 32, ladder 30. from my dept

i'm not sure about the other trucks in town but they own a few in the heights and mabey a few in dfd. im not so sure about the other depts. nutty1 can tell u about dfd. ill get the heights info.

Edited by sr71

is this a combined department or has the town purchased the apparatus for you? Did you guys have to use 100% private funding to purchase the vehicles you stated? Thanks for the info - its an interesting way of doing things!

is this a combined department or has the town purchased the apparatus for you? Did you guys have to use 100% private funding to purchase the vehicles you stated? Thanks for the info - its an interesting way of doing things!

all three departments in town are 100% volunteer everyone is equal pay $0. the town and combined fundraising, so its half and half. it all depends on what we are buying. and the fire commisioners etc.

I agree that it's beautiful, and Maxim's rock, but given it's a 1972 and the wealth in the Noroton community, are there any plans to replace it with a rig that's up to modern day standards?

If it's going to be replaced, it should definetly be kept as an antique.

The town owns the apparatus. They purchased the two new Pierces the dept just got. As for Heights, I belive heights owns the majority of thier rigs, as the rebuilt most of them.

Edited by nutty1

The town owns the apparatus. They purchased the two new Pierces the dept just got. As for Heights, I belive heights owns the majority of thier rigs, as the rebuilt most of them.

thanks for the added info nutty, noroton owns engine 31, the fire boat, and i think the rescue.

I agree that it's beautiful, and Maxim's rock, but given it's a 1972 and the wealth in the Noroton community, are there any plans to replace it with a rig that's up to modern day standards?

right now there are no plans to replace it, the truck has been refurbed twice in its lifetime and is still fully functional. the community loves the truck, we do all the santa runs in it. its also a great public relations tool also. the truck is up to modern day standards fire fighting wise, all the equipment is modern and up to par. but the truck looks retro and according to osha its not a proper fire truck because of its age but whos counting age when shes sceen more fires than anyother piece in town. its trully a one of a kind peice.

so let me break that down.

its modern and up to date firefighting wise. thats all practically new.

but saftey wise, its alittle out of date. but its lower than the other rigs. so its harder to flip and its slower in speed.

if anyone wants to stop buy and get some pics just send me a pm and ill scheduele it for ya free of charge LOL.

wed be glad that our fans come to photogragh a piece of history.

Edited by sr71

nutty I thought you guys bought one of the new engines yourselves? SR71 I think the boat and the pickup were bought by the dept, the town bought the rest, although the town just paid for the refurb and new motors for the boat. Seth there is a real space issue right now, so until that gets taken care of it will not be replaced anytime soon. It goes by a town wide replacement schedule, and I think that it is not up for a while. If you take a look at the latest NFPA recomendations it isn't at all compliant.