Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

When Has A Topic Been "Beaten To Death"?

5 posts in this topic

Many members here complain about some issues on this forum being "being beaten to death", or over-discussed.

I, too, agree that some of the issues pop up over and over again, and it can be annoying.

BUT

It's obviously bothering someone, and/or still a big issue, especially if a number of members are viewing or participating in a thread.

Many of these topics are serious issues, that are still plaguing the Fire, EMS, and Police services. Yet, some have the attitude of "It will never be resolved" or "Enoughs Enough of this talk". Many people don't want to discuss the issues, and therefore a true resolution is never reach.

People complain of the "same old rhetoric" on here, but what does that tell us? Do the discussions on this forum reflect the dynamic of our Fire/EMS/PD community? I believe it does.

If we use this forum as a tool for communication and more importantly, the readers of this forum maybe, even if it's just one person, "sees the light" and effects change in their department, then this forum has served its purpose.

Also, I'd like to add, it's one thing to come on here and complain....and a whole 'nother thing to propose a resolution and/or do something about it.

My question to you is, when and WHY do you feel an issue has been "beaten to death"?

As administrator of this forum, I feel a topic is dead when a true solution has been reached.

P.S. : Please don't insult another members thoughs or opinions by adding an "Oh Please Enough Of This" type comment to ANY thread. If you have an issue with the thread or a post, please contact me via email at EMTBravo@EMTBravo.com to discuss.

I am not so sure it is possible to ever beat a topic to death. If the discussion is still active, then it is still important to someone or a few someones. As for the same old rhetoric, well that is a misnomer. If I make a statement and someone else post that they agree or makes a similar post in support of mine, I don't think that is a case of the same old rhetoric. Especially with the 5,000 plus members on this site, the likelyhood of some of us agreeing with someone else seems pretty high. If someone post a disagreement with me, even if the conflicting argument is well known, it is certainly not the same old rhetoric either. The only time I can see this getting to be a problem, is if a single poster begins to put identical or nearly identical posts up in the same topic, and really adds nothing new to the discussion. That would I guess be just the same old rhetoric.

I agree with EMTBravo, that the topic is relevant until a solution has been achieved. I also would add that as long as it is relevant to one member of these forums, it should be at leased considered as valid for discussion by the rest of us. If someone doesn't have anything to add to a topic, then simply ignore it. There is no rule that says one has to reply to every post. Some topics are of interest to only a small number of the general membership, so be it.

Once again, I am a big proponant of taking whatever action needs to be taken against abusive posters, but letting discussions live as long as the do and die a natural death on their own. Since topics are automatically locked after a period with no replies, this should really take care of itself. If noone considers it relevant enough to post, it will go away.

A topic is beaten to death when nobody responds anymore. No group of people will ever agree on 100 % on any issue. Someone will always have a different opinion.

Keep up the good work you have been doing by deleting "Inappropriate content".

But, if I think a topic is "beaten to death", I don't or read it or participate in it and move on to another topic.

The only topic beaten to death is those that get on there and say "this has been beaten to death." If you think it is do what I do...don't read it, or don't reply. Then for you it is not beaten to death, and its not over discussed. Its not like we pay by the thread or post here.

Different persons read these at different times. New members come and feel they want to add in on a topic or don't realize it has been discussed.

The problem I have is not the constructive criticism of civil discussion, but the mudslinging attitude of "My answer and my way is better than yours" and it really turns me off. It always seems that a hot topic with the right intentions goes right down the tubes.

I'm not afraid to say it but its always the two topics of career vs. volly and firehouse / social club discussions that the mudslinging goes on. Yes the topics of safety, responsibility and training are great to talk about and share ideas but when these "heated" debates go on, and on and on, its a broken records over again. And of course the respect factor in these discussion are thrown out. Regardless of my opinions and my views of these hot topics, its just sad to say we stoop down very low with the mudslinging.

Sorry but that is how I end up feeling every time I see the same thing over and over again. If there has been a "beating a dead horse topic" that was discussed in the past, then a link should be posted to the previous thread. I'm just tired of seeing it over and over again guys and gals.

Edited by IzzyEng4