Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huzzie59

Ladder Fall Protection

7 posts in this topic

What fall protection equipment is available for aerial ladders and or ground ladders?

With aerial ladders that extend 100' plus and ground ladders that extend up to 40' fall protection seems to be lacking. The video of the firefighter slipping and then sliding down the ladder with a victim would indicacte some type of fall arresting system should be in place.

Does anybody know of any systems in place and being used in the fire service?

Huzzie, I'm not sure what you mean however for aerial devices there are NFPA rated harnesses, ie. ladder belts, gemtors etc that are excellent.

Also as far as the firefighter, he didn't slide off that ladder, he was yanked off by the momentum of the civilian lunging. The only answer to that part is to let go of the civilian or make sure you gain control as they are coming over to your ladder.

The best fall protection for an extension ladder is a leg lock. Do it properly and it is completely stable, even if you go unconscious it will hold you there. Other then that its exactly what we use for aerials. Ladder belts. In a rescue situation you do not have much time to set up anything in regard to fall arresting other then using good technique.

Isn't the unwritten rule of thumb if a truck has at least 1 extension ladder that the apparatus should have 1 or 2 ladder belts on it? It might just be a local thing I'm used to.

In the construction industry, there are many products made for fall protection. Rope grabs, self-retracting lifelines, various harnesses and landyards, fixed-slide rail systems.

So many options for the construction industry, but what about fire service?

I think a ladder belt is obsolete. I'm so scrawny, they don't make a ladder belt I can't slip through!

I think the best modern day option is a Gemtor-style harness that's intergrated with your bunkers pants. You're always wearing it, so no need to waste time putting on a ladder belt and it's good for escape and other purposes as well.

But, these are only for when you are stationary, and not moving. I don't think I've ever seen an actual fall-arrestor system (such as a cable to hook into) on an aerial device.

The only disadvantage I see to this is the weight it adds to the bunker pants.

I think a ladder belt is obsolete. I'm so scrawny, they don't make a ladder belt I can't slip through!

You should eat at Chipolte more often to fix that problem!!!!!

Seriously though I know what you mean but I luckily I really never had that problem with the current design. There are so many options out there but I think a specific style should be redesigned making them lighter and stronger.

Leg lock baby, leg lock.