Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DADAY

K12 vs Saws all

8 posts in this topic

In many depts they have both which do most prefer?

Mohegan has all 4 types: K-12's, Quick Vents, Cutters Edge and Sawz All

I feel it all depends on the situation....

1) The use of a K-12 on metal or concrete works better than any other saw due to its power.

2) When it comes to a typical residential wooden plywood and shingle roof, I feel the Quick Vent or Cutters Edge saw handles better.

3) When it comes to interior operations, I feel a Sawz All works the best. Its small, works on either battery or electric power and it doesnt give off exaust fumes where air quality can be diminished.

However, if the saw you chose isnt working in a particular operation, switch to another saw to complete the task!

We also have a cutters edge, k-12, quick vent (2), and recipricating saws(3).

As CG said, each has it's place.

Will a K-12 work opening a roof (ordinary construction)? Absolutely. I personally perfer a cutters edge or quick vent.

Concrete cutting or metal, such as roll down gates or rebar - K-12 all the way.

Indoor op's or vehicle extrication - recip saw

The recip saws are versitle as you have your choice of blades. Metel or wood cutting with different pitches. The newer recip saws you also have your choice on voltages.

We have an old Milwalkee 110v. With this you're limited to having electric nearby. We also have two Dewalt 24v portables. While the 24v may be more than what is needed for most operations, we chose this because of a 110v adaptor so it can be pluged in for extended operations.

Daday, you may remember (if you were there) the extrication involving a law enforcement vehcile during the summer of 1999 on Rrt 202 by the stone house (Yes, the one after your all day brush fire). In order to free the patient, the recip saw was used extensively. When the blade wore, we had another saw all ready to go and kept rotating back and forth. For those who are asking, why not hurst tool cutters? It was the fire wall of the vehicle that had to be removed from around the pt's lower extremities.

In closing, I can not answer which is preferable as each has it's job and place. A good arsenal in your tool box will let you chose the best for the job when needed.

Unfortunatly i was not at the trooper extrication for i was laid up in the hospital with a torn up knee, from the brush fire

It was the fire wall of the vehicle that had to be removed from around the pt's lower extremities.

The poor guy's legs went THROUGH the firewall? Ouch.

The poor guy's legs went THROUGH the firewall? Ouch.

His feet did. The firewall had to be cut from around his ankles.

Yes it was a long and very tiresome disentanglement, under extreme and dangerous conditions.

I was the extrication officer, on that job.