Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigfitz2004

firefighters trained as Basic Life Support (BLS)?

6 posts in this topic

Which fire departments in Westchester County have firefighters trained as Basic Life Support (BLS)? I believe all firefighters should have some type of Basic Life Support trainee because the most dangers time of operation in a fire is the first 5-10 minutes.

Town of Mamaroneck, Larchmont, Hartsdale @ CFR level, New Rochelle, Yonkers ( i think)

Eastchester FD every firefighter and fire officer trained to EMT

If you want protection for the first 5-10 minutes...being an EMT isn't going to help you. Having FF Survival skills will, good size up skills will...and also not getting complacent after those first 5-10 minutes or allow your self to get tunnel vision once you are assigned a task that you lose the ability to watch your surroundings so you don't get in trouble will. Unless that BLS training gives you an invicibility cloak you need something other then that.

I think all firefighters should look into becoming an EMT. The extra knowledge is valuable in numerous ways. Including the ability to provide BLSFR if needed. Assisting persons in technical rescue capabilities. And the fact that it is just plain out training.

We have CFR some are EMT's and one of our career guy's is a paramedic. And I agree with you ALS.

Edited by HFD750

We have CFR some are EMT's and one of our career guy's is a paramedic. And I agree with you ALS.

Greenville FD all members are EMTs.