Followers 0
huzzie59

Superman? NYC Subway Hero

8 posts in this topic

NEW YORK POST

SUPER DAY FOR A HERO

NYC LOVES SUBWAY SAVIOR

By DAN KADISON, HEIDI SINGER and RITA DELFINER

MAN OF RAIL: "Subway Superman" Wesley Autrey downplayed his own heroism yesterday while appearing with Larry Hollopeter (far left), the father of the man he saved.January 4, 2007 -- A day after leaping onto the tracks to rescue a fallen stranger from an oncoming train, Subway Superman Wesley Autrey was the toast of the town, getting applause from New Yorkers, awed letters from schoolkids and a giant bite of Big Apple fame and fortune.

Some of the most heartfelt praise came from near-tragic victim Cameron Hollopeter's stepmother, Rachel, who called Autrey "an angel" for saving the life of the 20-year-old film student.

"He was so heroic," she said. "If he wasn't there, this would be a whole different [telephone] call."

Autrey's mother, Mary, glowed with pride.

"I'm proud of him because he was there to help somebody who needed help more than him," she said. "He didn't think twice. He dived in, like he said. He helped the guy and God helped them."

There was an outpouring of gratitude for Autrey's bravery.

* Mayor Bloomberg today will honor the 50-year-old grandfather at City Hall.

* Donald Trump will reward the construction worker with a check for $10,000.

* The David Letterman show booked the Harlem dad of three for an appearance tonight.

* The director of the New York Film Academy, where Hollopeter is a student, gave Autrey a $5,000 check and scholarships for his daughters, Shuqui, 6, and Syshe, 4, for a 12-week film and acting program.

* Other offers included college tuition for the kids - who were on the subway platform Tuesday.

* Autrey and his kids were offered a trip to Disney World.

"What I did I did out of the kindness, not for the glory or the money," Autrey said.

But his courage won the city's heart.

"Everybody's been calling me that all morning: 'Superman, Superman,' " he said. "I don't feel like that. Someone's in need. What would you do?"

The Navy vet added, "I didn't think I did anything heroic. The real heroes are fighting overseas."

Autrey went to St. Luke's Hospital to visit Hollopeter, who was in stable condition.

"He thanked me," Autrey said after his visit. "He said he didn't even realize he was under the train."

Hollopeter's dad, Larry, said there were "no words to properly express our gratitude" for Autrey's "instinctive and unselfish act."

During his whirlwind day, Autrey went back to the 137th Street station to talk about what happened - how he maneuvered Hollopeter and himself into a trough between the tracks as the No. 1 train bore down on them.

"My decision was to bury us both and take our chances," he said.

"Once I saw the train coming and saw the height and saw the depth of the gutter, I knew I had enough clearance. It looked like maybe the two of us would fit," he said.

In the Melrose section of The Bronx, third-graders at PS 29 sent fan letters.

"My whole class thinks you're a hero," wrote Malik Hardy, 9.

Juliette Parissi, 8, pointed out that "a hero is not only a person that has money like a basketball player. You are a hero."

Additional reporting by Rich Calder and Jeremy Olshan

dan.kadison@nypost.com

Truely an awesome story. I saw the guy on the TV news, and you can tell he has an authentic big heart.

If only there were more people like this we in America today could live in total peace

I'm watching him right now on the Late Show with David Letterman. Very Dramatic

"The only thing that happened to me was...MY BLUE HAT GOT DIRTY!!!" This is what the man said.

True story, as related to me by my older brother. Fella decides to take a swan dive in front of a downtown number 4 or 5 train at Grand Central and lands in between the rails. Train goes right over him. As he is being hauled out by FD and PD and EMS, he is heard to say, "Dammit, I can't even kill myself right."

saw him on the letterman show also, seems like an ordinary blue collar down to earth guy, congrats to him!, unbelievable on how much support and exposure this guy is now getting! good for him!!

That guy received a $10K from Trump and a free trip to Disney for his whole family.