Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

As Long As It's Not Us

5 posts in this topic

I was wondering something.

Often, in the fire and EMS service, we're often very critical of neighboring departments and other agencies, especially after a significant incident. We often form opinions, do the shoulda/woulda/coulda routine, and spark rumors. If a photo or video was take, we often use that as a judgment tool.

However, when it's our turn to have the incident, we often get very defensive when people talk critical of us. For example, if a person was caught in a photo obviously performing a tatic wrong, putting themselves at risk, etc...we often don't blame the person in the photo or the officers at that scene, we get defensive, don't learn or accept the mistake, and for instance, blame the photographer or whoever else we can, as long as it's not us- we'e perfect after all.

My point is, we can give it, but we can't take it.

To improve in the fire and EMS service, we must be accepting of our mistakes, and look at other agencies and people for advice, opinions, and most of all- constructive criticism. Our peers can be one of the best tools for learning- if we'd only listen. To be a better firefighter- and person....own up to your mistakes, and learn from them. And make sure others learn too.....

I was wondering something.

Often, in the fire and EMS service, we're often very critical of neighboring departments and other agencies, especially after a significant incident. We often form opinions, do the shoulda/woulda/coulda routine, and spark rumors. If a photo or video was take, we often use that as a judgment tool.

However, when it's our turn to have the incident, we often get very defensive when people talk critical of us.  For example, if a person was caught in a photo obviously performing a tatic wrong, putting themselves at risk, etc...we often don't blame the person in the photo or the officers at that scene, we get defensive,  don't learn or accept the mistake, and for instance, blame the photographer or whoever else we can, as long as it's not us- we'e perfect after all.

My point is, we can give it, but we can't take it.

To improve in the fire and EMS service, we must be accepting of our mistakes, and look at other agencies and people for advice, opinions, and most of all- constructive criticism. Our peers can be one of the best tools for learning- if we'd only listen. To be a better firefighter- and person....own up to your mistakes, and learn from them. And make sure others learn too.....

Very well said x. I have seen this type of stuff going on since I joined the service. You know what? At a mutual aid call , as long as my guys are not in danger( and the two departments we most work with are very good) I let the district officers call the shots. Some guys rag on the calls made , and then try to arm chair what they would have done.

You know what , I think going mutual aid is and has been some of the best firefighting I have done. I have gotten to see what works , what does not, and some things I thought would work and would not have worked.

Arrow

Great point. I often tell newer Paramedics when their first case comes up in a call audit, to relax, not take anything personal and do not get defensive. Its a learning experience and if you missed some small things, you'll remember next time, or if you feel strongly you did or didn't do something for a reason, explain yourself professionally and competently, not defensively. If you can't do it the first 2 ways, chances are in my mind that its probably not legit or of sound judgement/diagnosis.

Same thing goes for the fire service. Many of us are not part of the kinder, gentler fire service. We are and want to be fire service leaders. Not fire department leaders. Fire service leaders trying to get some of the cultural change we keep hearing about in reports to reduce LODD's, and to improve the response that citizens get.

Also do not forget that it is a 2 way street. You must also know how to properly discuss an issue or present a questions when a forum approaches. Personal issues need not apply and you have to ensure that you are being respectiful despite what the issue was and present it in a professional manner yourself. The way that you or someone else does really can set the tone of any discussion/critique from the very beginning. You want a tone of openess and learning. Not lynching and condescending.

Thanks guys. This is always a thing that has perplexed me. Just be responsible and accepting of your actions.

As usual, ALS brings a lot of good thoughts on the subject. I think every department has to formalize the post-incident critique process. If you make talking about incidents an open, structured activity, you can head off a lot of the negative back-channel stuff that slowly kills organizaions. Making this work requires mutual respect and a solid set of ground rules - and open minds and patience. It's amazing how rumors and heresay can distort things.

Also, I definitely think every fire service leader should learn that wrecking another department will not build up yours.