Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calhobs

Cheif Officers who cant stay out of the scene

8 posts in this topic

What do you do about Chief Officers who cant remain at the IC or need to be in the action all the time?

Get rid of them. They aren't ready and are nothing but firefighters with red lights. Then again there is always attaching eye bolts to their vehicles and attaching a 15' chain with a leash.

This comes down to other respected chiefs talking with the said member. That is a form of freelancing and that is the cancer of the fire service. It is also a officer development training deficiency in the department. Which many departments I know do not do any officer development.

I addressed this and one persons idea of how to control this in the chiefs and PPE forum.

It's unfair to lump "Chief Officers", nor am I sure that's the term you wanted to use?

Yes, the IC should stay remote, at the command post.

However, if their are several chiefs on scene, as many departments have redundant officers, then other chiefs may be assigned sectors, such as interior operations command, etc, that requires them to go inside or travel around the scene.

As far as the IC not being able to remain at the command post, everyone has their own style. Yes, it's proper discipline to remain at the command post, and I've seen this style work quite well (outside Westchester), but as ALS referenced, some chiefs miss being a firefighter when action strikes (as I would be). Let your line officers lead.

This is known as "red light green light one two three syndrome" Everytime you turn around at a scene a Chief is one step closer to being inside. Its like there is a force pulling him into the building. Maybe they have'nt learned how to run a scene from the outside yet? AKA Micro-management

If the chief has "established command" or been "passed command" by the unit that originally established it then he is the INCIDENT COMMANDER.

This person MUST remain at the command post.

In addition, the chief assigned to Operations should be spending the majority of his time at the command post too, but it would be permissible for them to be doing a walk around at times.

The following chiefs are the mobile eyes and ears of the IC and the Operations Chief and should be on the move through the duration of the event. Too many people jump to criticize them because the see a "white hat" on the roof or coming out the front door to change a pak with an interior crew.

-Interior command (often times there are multiple broken down by floor)

-Exterior command (often times there are multiple broken down by side or exposure)

-Roof operations

-RIC operations (often times there are multiple especially at commercial structures)

-Water Supply operations

-Staging

-Public Information (at large commercial or publicly visible emergencies)

IC's who cannot trust the officers that they have assigned to their sector command have no business being an IC. However I find more often that criticism comes from those who are unfamiliar (not necessarily those posting in this thread) with the proper layering of incident command.

Put up an electric dog fence for those type of officers. Either you make the commitment or step aside and get a more qualified and responsible person to hold that position. If an officer needs to bee in the action all the time, then they should not be an officer and should remain a regular firefighter. Also too, officers shouldn't have the nozzle in a structure either unless is absolutely necessary for him / her to have it. Their job is to lead the company and members, no to "play".

635 and mfc great point on the other uses. However, its important to remember that even with given titles of a command system they are still not in the action. So to speak. They are directing the "action." More on some of those 'titles' below.

Also there is only 1 'command'

Under Operations you can have a 'interior sector chief' and a exterior sector 'chief.' Which can also be called a division and then they would be division supervisors. Or on the radio "interior' or 'exterior.' The thing to remember is that just because it says 'chief' it doesn't have to "a chief." Anyone qualified and competent can fit that assignment. It just the way the system was developed with titles.

As far as some of the other assignments you've given 'chiefs.' I would assign to line/company officers and even firefighters. I do not need a chief on the roof, I want a competent lieutenant or captain.

I want a competent lieutenant/captain and often even more firefighter as RIT leader.

Why? To get them more command experience, to gain respect of those around them for their decision making abilities and to form them into a future chief officer.

I agree , but in a case of low man power on scene I say the Asst chiefs can or have to change roles. The only reason I will not make a run for a Chiefs spot now , is that I still want to be involved in the interior work and hands on , on the scene. This is not saying that the Chief officers are not involved , I just find more pleasure in the jobs that I am responsible for.

The Happy Captain smile.gif

Arrow