Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Robert Stone Passes Away

1 post in this topic

While reading the Enterprise newspaper today, a name that I had seen a lot caught my eye. I learned that Robert Stone passed away on December 27th, following a series of small strokes. He was 86 years old.

The only way I knew Robert was through his writings for 1st Responder Newspaper, where he was a senior corrospondent right up until the day he died. I always wondered who he was, after seeing his numerous in-depth Westchester Fire service related articles in that newspaper. I was constantly curious as to where he got his sources and his information, and asked myself why he never showed up on this forum....little did I know he was in his 80's.

According to his obituary, he was an Irvington resident for 22 years. He was an avid fire buff. He was named an Honorary Battalion Chief for FDNY following 9/11, and member of the NYC Fire Museum Board Of Trustees. He volunteered at the Irvington FD, and also joined the Kinston Cornell Hose Company #2 in Kingston, NY- his hometown- in 1938 as a volunteer firefighter.

He was a newspaper reporter for many years, before moving on to a career in public relations, where he recieved many industry honors.

I will miss his articles in 1st Responder.