Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efd184

Dont park on the live wire!

13 posts in this topic

As first responders in any of the 3 fields fire,ems or police we need to be aware of were we place our vehicles. This picture was taken last week of a police car that parked within inches of a LIVE HIGH VOLTAGE wire. The officer maybe did not realize the wire was LIVE but that would not have made a differance if he would have stepped on the wire leaving his vehicle. The chances he would have survived being shocked from the wire are slim to none. So please all pay attention to were you park on a wires down call. We ALL want to go home to our families at the end of the day!

I would also like to say that this is in no way meant to make the police dept. or the officer look bad. It is to show everyone to keep you eyes open.

post-4688-1168725437.jpg

To clarify further, it wouldn't matter if you stepped on it or not. You can still receive a significant electrical shock through ground gradiant. You must stay clear of down lines period.

Remember, stay sharp, look at the big picture and do not get complacent.

Remember - Always assume the wire, no matter if it is a power line or even a cable wire, is live! All wires have some sort of current regardless whether it is a cable, phone, primary leg or even a fire alarm wire. Also too, if there area down, remember current can jump even if wires are not touching. And also what ALS said before me, electrical current looks for a ground and it does radiate.

That is a metal drain right next to the wire, which happens to be a primary.

what about putting the cones ON the wire?

a civilian member of the police dept. who handles traffic and and maintemance

placed the cones on the wire before the officer arrived.

I've seen worse. Anyone ever had primaries down that were energized and dancing around? They are fun and luckily it doesn't happen often. Its also not one of my favorite tactics to employ to secure them.

Yes, plenty of times and you don't secure them. Let them dance, secure the AREA and call Con Ed.

Roof. I agree I do not like to secure them. Was at a scene where a 'fire officer' employed a tactic of dropping some bundles of hose on it to keep it from bouncing bad. Like I said...not my favorite tactic. Only time I've been involved with it happening. I've seen it a few other times in the department where this fire officer worked full time.

what about putting the cones ON the wire?

Don't even think of that, of you want the risk getting fried then go ahead! If there are any downed wires, set up a perimeter and keep everyone away and call the power company, they are paid to fix the problem and know how too.

I hear ya. I was also taught the "foot shuffle and drop a tarp method" in probie school. UH.... I DONT THINK SO. I may LOOK stupid but I'm not. I'll wait 2 hours for Con Ed thanks!!