Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
STAT213

Peekskill Fire

6 posts in this topic

I was wondering what the staffing patterns for the City of Peekskill are? I see on the website that there are 24 paid guys and 200 (holy crap) volunteers. Do the paid guys staff an engine and cover the stills and such, or are they spread out differently?

Thanks!!!

L45 - 1 Career FF

E130/39M2 - 1 Career Fire Medic

E131/35M1 - 1 Career Fire Medic

E132 - 1 Career FF (Sometimes)

E133 - 1 Career FF (BLS Engine)

E134 - 1 Career FF

This kind of wanders and goes off on different tangents so please bear with me. I've only experianced all paid or all volunteer. So if the medic is on an EMS call E130 and/or E131 are without a career FF? When the eng is unstaffed do the volleys turn it out? Do members respond to the station or to the scene? If they're going to the scene (which I'm assuming they do) who is getting the driverless engines? And lastly, is that all the apperatus for peekskill?? Only one ladder and no rescue. I'm suprised.

This kind of wanders and goes off on different tangents so please bear with me.  I've only experianced all paid or all volunteer.  So if the medic is on an EMS call E130 and/or E131 are without a career FF?  When the eng is unstaffed do the volleys turn it out?  Do members respond to the station or to the scene?  If they're going to the scene (which I'm assuming they do) who is getting the driverless engines?  And lastly, is that all the apperatus for peekskill??  Only one ladder and no rescue.  I'm suprised.

Only the paid personnel in Peekskill operate the apparatus. Volunteers primarily go to the scene and if they are in quarters can ride. They have a Rescue on order to replace an Engine - so they will have 4 Engines, 1 Tower and 1 Rescue.

Others here can probably give you more info.

This kind of wanders and goes off on different tangents so please bear with me.  I've only experianced all paid or all volunteer.  So if the medic is on an EMS call E130 and/or E131 are without a career FF?  When the eng is unstaffed do the volleys turn it out?  Do members respond to the station or to the scene?  If they're going to the scene (which I'm assuming they do) who is getting the driverless engines?  And lastly, is that all the apperatus for peekskill??  Only one ladder and no rescue.  I'm suprised.

From what I know - under normal staffing (1 FF on each rig) if either 39M1 (E131) or 39M2 (E130) goes out on an EMS call - the engine is out of service until the medic/ff gets back to qtrs. As far as a rescue is concered - E134 is the rescue-engine. It carries all the rescue equiptment. Also as far as I know, 99% of the time the members go to the scene.

From what I know - under normal staffing (1 FF on each rig) if either 39M1 (E131) or 39M2 (E130) goes out on an EMS call - the engine is out of service until the medic/ff gets back to qtrs. As far as a rescue is concered - E134 is the rescue-engine. It carries all the rescue equiptment. Also as far as I know, 99% of the time the members go to the scene.

You have it 684!

We have 6 apparatus and 1 career member staffing each. There are 4 shifts. Volunteers will respond to scene unless they are at FH when job hits. When the rig is out on a BLS call it is unavailable until called in clear from scene and when a medic goes out the rig is dead until they return to the house.

Per the career contract the volunteers are not allowed to operate the rigs, so they can not respond and place an O/S rig into service for a call. You will also notice on all structure fires that the ladder and 3 engines will be dispatched, the third engine is dispatched for the career man to operate the bucket on the ladder. Again, the contract will not allow for a volunteer to operate the bucket.

E134 is a rescue/pumper - longer than most traditional pumpers and operates as both the rescue and a pumper. The new R134 will be primarily a rescue but will have a pump with a limited amount of 1"3/4.