Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CAM502

Serious MVA on the Taconic this morning.

14 posts in this topic

Near the exit for Rt 301 in Putnam this morning at about 0745hrs there was a 3 car MVA with pin and ejection. Does anyone have the rundown and an update on the patient status. My Father was driving home from work and came across it. He want o know how they are doing. Also curious as to who covers that part of the highway there in Fahnstock. Thanks.

CAM

The TSP that enters into Fahnestock is covered by Putnam Valley agencies along with automatic mutual aid from East Fishkill (Dutchess). Additional units may have also been called from Philipstown Ambulance along with Medic 1 (stationed @ Philipstown).

Edited by 66Alpha1

The TSP that enters into Fahnestock is covered by Putnam Valley agencies along with automatic mutual aid from East Fishkill (Dutchess). As far as patient status....i do think that would be a HIPPA violation.

It would be a violation if you gave the names of the patients

Just wanted to see if they we're ok. But thanks for the info I thought it was in Put Valley but wasn't sure..

Edited by CAM502

Alpha,

I toned it down a little....Thanks again.

That part of the TSP is covered by Putnam Valley. After 301 heading north is covered by Kent Fire and East Fishkill. Anything south of 301 is covered by put. valley and usually mahopac falls or garrison. That is a know trouble spot for both departments. both north and south bounds lanes. I heard one patient was air lifted to westchester. They had moheigan ambulance on stnadby and also garrison was dispatch. mahopac falls rescuse was requested to the scence but later told to return to quaters and standy by. One qustion I have should departments put problems outside the department and be able to work together instead of calling a department father away just because they don't like a certain member of a closer department.

That part of the TSP is covered by Putnam Valley. After 301 heading north is covered by Kent Fire and East Fishkill. Anything south of 301 is covered by put. valley and usually mahopac falls or garrison. That is a know trouble spot for both departments. both north and south bounds lanes. I heard one patient was air lifted to westchester. They had moheigan ambulance on stnadby and also garrison was dispatch. mahopac falls rescuse was requested to the scence but later told to return to quaters and standy by. One qustion I have should departments put problems outside the department and be able to work together instead of calling a department father away just because they don't like a certain member of a closer department.

Indeed that is a rough spot. The exit itself is horrible and i myself have been in a few near misses trying to get onto 301. Its a rough area epically because you have units potentially coming from both north and south bound lanes, and there are few turnarounds, and limited area in which to work. As far as departments, im not really aware of their individual capabilities. However, i am aware of the mutual aid that East Fishkill and the Falls gives to Put Valley on TSP jobs. Between Put Valley, East Fishkill and the Falls - i can only imagine that is enough apparatus to get the job done. I wasn't o/s and have never worked with East Fishkill or the Falls before so i really cant comment on any of the politics.

Indeed that is a rough spot. The exit itself is horrible and i myself have been in a few near misses trying to get onto 301.  Its a rough area epically because you have units potentially coming from both north and south bound lanes, and there are few turnarounds, and limited area in which to work. As far as departments, im not really aware of their individual capabilities. However, i am aware of the mutual aid that East Fishkill and the Falls gives to Put Valley on TSP jobs. Between Put Valley, East Fishkill and the Falls - i can only imagine that is enough apparatus to get the job done. I wasn't o/s and have never worked with East Fishkill or the Falls before so i really cant comment on any of the politics.

I have worked with both department. East Fishkill only voers there area and mutal aid with Kent up to 301 anything south of that is handeled by putnam valley with help from the falls. That area used to be a dual dispatch for Kent and Putnam Valley. But within the last year that was removed. Everyone forgets about Little kent but they do a lot of work also on the TSP.

Photos by Koby are on http://www.EMTBravo.com

Looks like a pretty serious MVA. That area of the TSP is so obsolete, I don't understand how NYS can continually be so negligent with maintainence and upgrades of overloaded, high speed parkways such as the Taconic and Saw Mill.

Edited by x635

Maintenance and upgrade? Seth they just repaved that entire stretch down to Pudding Street a couple months ago in a big night paving operation. Only thing is in rain at night..the painted lines suck and are hard to see.

Most of the wrecks I've done there and in the Peekskill Hollow Rd. area in my Medic 2 days involved unsafe speeds.

LOL. Enough with the HIPAA violation stuff.

#1: Hipaa is blown way out of proportion and mostly addresses electronic patient information.

#2: Long before "hipaa" we only used the phrase patient confedentiality. Which that would be a violation of if a person whom treated and transported the patient would be involved with and it would have to include name and 'status.' Until the person name becomes public record which MVA 104 forms are once they are filed and it would be questionable being often persons names are released in the press.

Sorry for the rant but I am soooo sick of hearing the 'hipaa' word.

As far as the position of this site is concerned, I feel that it is inappropriate (and against forum rules) for a provider on scene to release specific details about the patients condition (other then minor injuries, critical, etc which is OK) on this forum.

Often, this information is released to the media after the patient or their family OK's it with the hospital (or at least thats the way it's supposed to work)

Also, there's many people that read this forum, and word spreads fast...once the information is publicized in the media, it's a different story, but please use extreme discretion when discussing and sharing patient/victimt details. There's sometimes reasons why information is withheld.

Photos by Koby are on http://www.EMTBravo.com

Looks like a pretty serious MVA. That area of the TSP is so obsolete, I don't understand how NYS can continually be so negligent with maintainence and upgrades of overloaded, high speed parkways such as the Taconic and Saw Mill.

I agree that the TSP could use a facelift between Routes 6 and 84 (and probably further north these days too) but to blame the State for the speed and volume is a bit misplaced. As was already posted, this section was just repaved this fall. If everyone would just slow down a little bit and get out of each other's trunks, especially where sight distance is limited like the Taconic, we'd all be going to less accidents.

It's not the State's fault Westchester has made it so cost prohibitive to live there that most of the work force now lives in Putnam or Dutchess.

Sorry, but I don't think the state is to blame when most people drive like their head is you know where!

I apologize for not adding what the forum rules were. I meant in no way to say to disregard them. I was making my point specifically about hipaa and the release of information in general not to this site in particular.

With that..... tongue.gif

LOL. I'm in a joking mood Mr. EMTBRAVO.

Also I can't find the pics off the main page anyone with more know how of where they are post a link. All I come to are the forums.

Three pt's. 2 airlifted by statflight 1 and 2. The third transported BLS to WMC. There was another accident in Patterson. 2 pt's flown and the other transported ALS to Danbury.

Edited by paratrooper75