Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

New Decon Engines

3 posts in this topic

Just a note, don't have all the info yet, but here is what I have.

FDNY has started training select Engine's in Decon ops. This is a special 3 day course. They are learning the basics of decon and how to don and doff CPC.

They will be team with a SSL company. They will not carry and hazmat equipment, it will be placed on the 2nd pc, of the SSL. From what I understand this will be like a Decon/Hazmat taskforce. Bn, Engine, Ladder, Rapid Response Vehicle.

Some units that are undergoing this training. Engines 22, 35, and 74. I am sure that they will be trying to train an Engine for every SSL. Haven't seen any orders or memos on this. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the info! I would guess that the engines would be primarily used to wash until the Decon equipment or trailer could arrive?

Just curious, what role to the FDNY Haz*Tac ambulance play in the decon or hazmat incident process???

The HazTacs are used in many ways.

1. Medical Monitoring of members using CPC.

2. Patient treatment in the Hotzone. ie. Worker in full CPC falls off a ladder in breaks his leg. Haztac would be send in to treat on the spot. If the worker had a comprimise of his CPC then first Hazmat would remove, Decon and then treat.

3. Prior to all the new SSL, Decon Engines. Haztacs would do a lot of the Decon. Work the trailers are or decon station. This way they could monitor the patients being deconed and flag anyone who needs treatment.

There is a entire SOP on the Haztac use. Also note that the number of Haztac units has gone from 10 to about 25 and still growing. I think they want to go to about 35 units.