Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

"The Critical Hour" & Young Teens

3 posts in this topic

Last evening I happened to come across Discovery's Health Channel's "The Critical Hour" Series. In this episode, which focused on Toronto, Canada's Leading Trama Center, the episode centered on 'Teaching" young Teens on the realities of Trama and the effect it has on lives. What was shown was a class of 9th Grade Students touring this Major Trama Center's Emergency Facility, with the Director of Trama walking them thru every step that is taken during a real trama senerio. A classroom setting is also set up, showing them a film and real photos of actual trama victims being worked on. Finally, the students actually had the opportunity to personall visit some trama victims, some which were of the same or similar age, and what they are all going thru to rehabilitate themselves, just to have a realitively normal life again. It's kind of a "Scared Straight" version in the health care environment. I was wondering if WCMC had any programs like this for some of the Middle School and Young High School Age Students in Westchester County, in order (as the Trama Unit Director said in this episode) to help "prevent" some of the trama that they see day in and day out. Does anyone know if WCMC or any other Trama facility in the area has a similiar program?

No idea if WMC or any area trauma center has a "program" like this, but i'm sure it could be arranged if requested by police or school councilor.

Edited by 66Alpha1

When I worked at UMass Worcester Medical Center- University Campus they had a program similar to this.

Although I do think this program would definelty help in some cases, teenagers are immature and do stupid things (I admit to it when I was that age). Also, proper parenting, education, and urban intiatives would also prevent a great deal of trauma for coming into the ED.

It's an interesting concept, and I'll have to keep my eye out for the show.