Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Who has a scanner in their vehicle

14 posts in this topic

was just curious how many have a scanner in their vehicle. I use to have one with my old car, but with my new car I did not put it back in. Acctually I have no place to put it....LOL.

Edited by nutty1

I have one in my truck, Uniden BCT15. It is my console along woth my Motorola CDM and Kenwood Lowband mobile radios.

Scanners in vehicles are illegal in NY. That's why I only have a UHF moibile radio with no police channels in it.

I used to have a scanner, but it got constant interference from the car's electronics, that's what prompted me to get the UHF radio.

Is it illegal to have a non-police UHF scanner put into your car???

New York State law states that any device "capable" of picking up police frequencies is illegal (except in certain situations). I have seen several people charged with a misdemeanor as a result of having a scanner in their vehicle.

New York State law states that any device "capable" of picking up police frequencies is illegal (except in certain situations). I have seen several people charged with a misdemeanor as a result of having a scanner in their vehicle.

When I took my HAM radio classes 11 years ago, there was an 'out' to that law - if you have a HAM license, you are permitted to have a scanner in your POV.

I used to have a scanner in my POV, then i got pulled over (oops) and the cop really reemed me out about having one (although he was a nice guy and didnt write me a ticket for it), so now i have a UHF radio in its place...its just as good if not better

I just use my portable... gets the job done and I really don't want to go out and buy one for the truck.

Every once in a while you hear a story about someone getting busted by the cops for having a scanner in their vehicle. I have never heard about someone getting pulled over just for having a scanner in their car. I have heard about FD and/or EMS members being stopped for other violations of the VTL and when the cop approached the vehicle a scanner was sitting there in plain view. I can only speak for Orange County when I say that most cops around here are not going to arrest you or write you a summons for having a scanner in your car.

Prior to my POV being certified as an "Authorized Emergency Vehicle" I never had any problems with having a scanner in my vehicle. Our local Town & Village PDs are cool with us having scanners and VHF radios in our POVs. We actually have permission to have their frequencies in our radios in case we have to contact them directly when responding to a call or when we are on the scene with them.

I can tell you from personel experience that you need to very carefull having a scanner in your POV because there are a few Police Ofc out there that have a pet pev about that particular V-N-T law. I was personally arrested and charged with a misdemeanor because of having one in my vehicle. Now I know what everyone is thinking , I must have done something to provoke the initial traffic stop. Not in this case , and those of you who know me when I used to live in Pleasantville might remember this particular incident about 14 yrs ago. I unfortunally was the one they made an example out of. But the traffic law does state that any device cabable of receiving police freqs are illegal , so if you have a programable scanner even if those freqs are not in the unit it is still CAPABLE and you can still be charged. So be carefull!!!!

I have a 780xlt with a Scanner Master head unit currently in my truck. The box is mounted under the seat and the head unit mounted above my center console.