Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikerabbit

2 Cycle Engines

6 posts in this topic

Anybody familiar with 2 cycle engines here? What is the difference between 50:1 and 40:1 fuel mixes? Can I mix between the two? Most of my lawn tool are 40:1 but I just got a snow blower that is 50:1. Should I have 2 different gas cans?

Thanks

Mike

I don't know a whole lot, but aren't those ratios the fuel to oil mix? If i were you, i would mix the blower's fuel in a separate can just to be safe - don't want the engine to seize or fowl up b/c of insufficient oil!

Edited by 66Alpha1

Well the difference is the concentration of oil is higher in the 40:1 gas/oil mix.

You can run your 50:1 tools with 40:1 fuel but the opposite is not advisable. Seperate fuel at the proper mix ratio for each engine would be best.

Edited by CFD320

Go to a hardware store and buy a fuel ratio mixing cup. They also sell them at motorcycle shops, they have the ratios on the measuring cup and will make your mixing much more easy. I would suggest buying different fuel cans for each mixture and mark them. Engines with too much oil will foul the plug or just not run to peak performance and engines with too little oil will make good boat anchors, door stops and conversation pieces.

I wouldnt mix up too much gas for the snowblower this year. smile.gif

Arrow

Thanks guys,

I will be buying another can and mixing cup!

I used to use AMSOIL Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil (ATC)

in my dirt bike, you can get it at some lawn mower shops, and most racing motorcycle (MOTO-CROSS) dealers.

I would make one mix 50:1 and use it for all your 2 cycle engines.

Don't worry, the leaner mix won't hurt the 40:1 engine.