Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest WolfEMT

FDNY Ladder 72?

7 posts in this topic

I grew up in the Throgg's Neck section of the Bronx, specifically in the area of Engine 72. E 72 is still on Tremont Ave, but I could have sworn that when I was a kid, there was a Ladder 72 in the same house. (I moved away when I was 12, but I just recently moved back.) I've tried looking for Ladder 72 online, but I can't find anything. On the facade of the house, it says "Engine 72 Ladder," but all that is in the house is E 72 and Sattelite 2. Does anyone have any info on this?

did you try FDNYtrucks.com?.........has past and present trucks from all the stations in the city

nope......dont even bother wit that......just checked it and its a no go..........engine 72 was stacked when it was a mack back in the day tho

Ladder 72 has been removed from the FDNY roll from what I can see. Ladders 62 to 75 AND 88 to100 are not in service as well as Engines 98 to 150, 168 to 200 and other random closures between.

If I remember correctly, it was a straight-stick Mack CF, like its "twin," the old Mack CF engine. The only thing that I can think of is that FDNY management decided to scrap the straight-stick and expand the coverage area of Ladder 50, which is a tower. I'd still like to find out what happened to Ladder 72, or if I totally imagined it - lol.

According to NYFD.com Ladder Co. 72 was never organised, perhaps you remember a reserve ladder that had been stored in the house.

When the firehouse was built it was slated to be a double house housing Engine 72 and Ladder 57. Ladder 57 was never formed upon completion of the firehouse. Some of the high number bronx ladders were formed during the for the workload of the 60's & 70's and others were formed upon the deactivation of second sections of other bronx companies.