Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

EMS Tricks of the trade

16 posts in this topic

Well, I have some tricks of the trade I would like to pass along.

Here is the first one I put together, the standard 35mm file canister.

http://nycfire.net/ems/tricks/35mm

If anyone has anything else to add to this please do so.

I have a bunch more to add, but I want to make sure people can get the stuff first. No sense in showing something that you can't get your hands on.

Keep your gloves together in your pocket. Roll each pair up from the fingers to the cuff. Then use the cuff of one to wrap over the whole roll.

On your bloody traumas, two pair of gloves. When you have to touch something clean take off one layer of glove. Its much easier putting a glove over a glove than on a sweaty hand.

Vomiters: Get a couple of those really really big red bags from the ED. They use them on the 50 gallon trash cans usually. Cut slit down one side about 1/3 or just about and then tie it around the vomiter, just like you plastic bib when your eating a lobster. Works great and beat the vomit deflector (emessis container)

even if you can't get the big ones. The smaller ones used for the rig garbage work great. Many a drunk came rolling in with the redbag scarf.

I always keep a few tegaderms in my pocket. Great for a whole load of things, but especially quickly sealing chest wounds. Fold one end in on its self and you’ve got yourself a 5 second flutter valve.

I always keep a handful of gloves in my pocket - and I’ll second doubling up on traumas.

I also carry a few OPAs in a specimen bag in a cargo pocket to get that airway established quickly.

When making up a stretcher you want to ensure all the excess length is to the end where the feet are, as most of us already do. Just fold it so you can pull the extra length of sheet/blanket out for when you get that taller patient you can pull it over their shoes do you don't get feet marks on your shirt.

Extra this extra that....I know some of you look like bat man out there. lol.

I carry.....hmmm what do I carry...oh a pen, and my pharmalogical reference. Everything else I need is in the bag... biggrin.gif

Guys any photos you have please E-mail then to me.. tbendick@nycfire.net

To add onto ALS's strecher comments, i always fold the slack on each side over on itself twice. This way you always have a good handhold when you go to move a patient or just extra sheet to wrap someone up in.

Damn, I've been using old 35mm canisters for stuff for ever, both at home and for fire / ems. A great little thing for camping too, keeps you matches dry.

We use to call them DOA kits. Comes in handy if you are standing around waiting to gain access and the smell is over whelming, one cheap ciger, 2 hankerchiefs, one bottle of cheap aftershave, one lighter for the ciger. In the city when we transport DOA's we also carried a body bag, rubber gloves that came up to your elbows, and some plastic sheets to cover the strectcher. Of course none of this is part 800.

In the city when we  transport DOA's we also carried a body bag,  rubber gloves that came up to your elbows, and some plastic sheets to cover the strectcher. Of course none of this is part 800.

Damn am I glad those days are over. "83 not removed central"

35mm film? Whats that? (j/k)

Regarding the extra blanket at the ends, I like to fold a little extra at the top too especially for the cold days, I use it to cover the patient's head. If that doesn't work I typically carry a couple of towels and give my patient the "mother Theresa" look. You loose a lot of heat from your head and your feet. Keep em warm! smile.gif

Damn am I glad those days are over.  "83 not removed central"

"10-83, not removed, left with PD.........clear for a 100?"

I always keep a few tegaderms in my pocket. Great for a whole load of things, but especially quickly sealing chest wounds. Fold one end in on its self and you’ve got yourself a 5 second flutter valve.

I always keep a handful of gloves in my pocket - and I’ll second doubling up on traumas.

I also carry a few OPAs in a specimen bag in a cargo pocket to get that airway established quickly.

Who taught you the trick with the tegaderms??? Thought that was my thing, I used to use it for almost all stab wounds that had little to no bleeding and label them for the ER.

Who taught you the trick with the tegaderms???  Thought that was my thing, I used to use it for almost all stab wounds that had little to no bleeding and label them for the ER.

Label it? Did ya really have to label your patient's stab wounds?

<------ STAB WOUND suture here!

The ER musta loved that!!! tongue.gif

"10-83, not removed, left with PD.........clear for a 100?"

forget the 100...personal bbp and restock. See ya tomorrow central.