Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ladder44

FDNY use the Federal Q?

11 posts in this topic

I know some companies put them on but I think I read on another forum that it voids some kind of warranty and that the shops sometimes took them off no clue if thats true

New apparatus come with a version of the Q siren, not the big one shown on Ladder 58. Many companies have purchased or gotten the Q siren and mounted it on their rigs like Ladder 58. The shops due frown on this esp. with warranty issues, however most units take them off if rig goes out for repairs to safe guard siren.New Seagrave Rearmounts delivered this year have an electronic version of the Q.

New apparatus come with a version of the Q siren, not the big one shown on Ladder 58. Many companies have purchased or gotten the Q siren and mounted it on their rigs like Ladder 58. The shops due frown on this esp. with warranty issues, however most units take them off if rig goes out for repairs to safe guard siren.New Seagrave Rearmounts delivered this year have an electronic version of the Q.

All new FDNY apparatus will now be delivered with an electronic Fed Q siren. I was skeptical on the sound, then I went on a trip to Chicago and was impressed...it isn't a mechanical Q...but it is close enough.

It used to be if the company wanted a 2QB they purchased it themselves or took it from an older unit that had one as far as I was told.

A few others running "Q's"

Ladder 4

TL-135 (it's not a Q but it's a mechanical siren as shown on the cover of this months Fire Engineering.)

Down here in Winter Park, the Ambulance/Rescue that turns out of the station a block from my house uses a EQ2 and the Engine runs a standard Q... Up close I can tell the difference, but I'll have to admit that there have been times that I've been working in the yard and heard one of the two rigs pull out and without seeing them I couldn't make out the difference. If the EQ2 is placed on the "wail" equivalent setting you can tell that it's not a real "Q" because it has a perfectly measured up and down cycle unlike a real "Q" where the operators foot decides when its screeming vs. growling.

In Westchester I haven't seen many EQ2's... But I think E-257 and E-258 have them.

Edited by mfc2257

user posted image

The Q comes off when the rig goes to the shops.

What warranty issues does the federal Q break?

could it be a contract issue?

I wish I would hear a Q when ever I hear engine 88 or ladder 38 respond when im at work at the zoo

probably the electrical system

It is electrical. The Q siren draws more amps than anything else on the rig.