Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lisnak

Hepatitis B Shots- Are They Required?

15 posts in this topic

Are EMT and Volunteer Firefighters who wish to be vaccinated for hepatitis required to pay for their own shots? One would think that NFPA or OSHA would mandate the requirements.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the employer(in case of Volly Fds the Board of Commissioners or other governing body) is required to provide Hep B vaccinations to any (active) members who want them. You, as a member are not required to get them, but IMHO you would be a damn fool not to accept them. At least that's how it went when we got them a few years ago.

Doc you are correct, we did them , district pays for them. Should not be our responsibility to pay for them.

Doc you are correct, we did them , district pays for them. Should not be our responsibility to pay for them.

Emplorer is required to offer them and pay for them if the series is given to the employee. The employee has the right to refuse the series if he/she wishes.

If I'm not mistaken, it is covered in OSHA under their "29 CFR Standard" - Bloodborne Pathogens (1910.1030). The "employer" is required to offer the HBV vaccine at no cost to the "employees."

If someone chooses not to get the free vaccine, they have to sign a waiver which is the 1910.1030 App. A.

Our FD used to send us to Phelps hospital to receive our vaccinations and booster shots. I'm not 100% positive what we do now.

I never got people refusing them. If you are just doing fire supression you have very little chance of exposure, but you still have a chance at being exposed. It is a safe vaccine and has a very low side effect rate. Its free, just take it. Sorry about the rant, but I spent earlier today arguing with a medic about why he was over the top pissed that he had to sign a waiver to not get vaccinated.

Emplorer is required to offer them and pay for them if the series is given to the employee.  The employee has the right to refuse the series if he/she wishes.

This is correct. In my dept you sign a waiver if you refuse the shot.

Everything we do is driven by the legal system. If the employer has to offer, then they need to show proof that someone refused. Bad system(??) but we need to work with it.

As stated prior, yes it is a requirment by OSHA. The determination on firefighters needs to be done on anticipated duties (from OSHA - Occupational Exposure means reasonably anticipated skin, eye, mucous membrane, or parenteral contact with blood or other potentially infectious materials that may result from the performance of an employee's duties.)

Remember that we are covered in NYS by NYS Department of Labor (PESH) so questions should be directed there. 518-972-1789

OSHA 1920.1030 cut and paste

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.sh...ARDS&p_id=10051

DCJPELLS you are coprrect in everything you say lets not forget one thing guys when you take that physical ---yes that yearly one that is also included in the standard. you should have at no additional cost a TB check.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

In NY State, for at least the last 10 years, Hep-B vaccine is required to attend public schools (you need to have the full dosage by 10th grade I think?)....

Does anyone know how long this program has been in effect? Do other states have similar requirements?

It is required in New York State to have the full compliment of Hep shots before some point im pretty sure it was the 10th grade bit it could actually be the 7th grade

I just remember the letters my parents got and the shots i got regarding Hep I dont remember what grade it was

I'm pretty sure that is correct.

To be an EMS provider your supposed to get 2 TB tests yearly one week apart...at least that’s what i was told when i went for my last work physical in December.

I'm pretty sure that is correct.

To be an EMS provider your supposed to get 2 TB tests yearly one week apart...at least that’s what i was told when i went for my last work physical in December.

Twice is new to me. I've gotten my titer done once at each physical. That was it.

Don't quote me on anything - all i know is that i had to get two TB shots and present two verification slips to the PA for her to check the site and sign off on it (both the first and second were negative).

Edited by 66Alpha1

Don't quote me on anything - all i know is that i had to get two TB shots and present two verification slips to the PA for her to check the site and sign off on it (both the first and second were negative).

My one job doesn't seem to give a horse's pattotie (we miss you Farley!) about employee health. I was sent by them for an employee physical at the beginning of employment but never sent back for any repeat TB testing or physical since.

My other job is a polar opposite. We get the works. If you want to get tested to Small Pox, hell, they'll do it. It's just bizarre. For TB we not only are supposed to get a TB skin test but also a chest X-Ray. Go figure.