Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lad41der

Our Own Worst Enemies?

11 posts in this topic

Intersting reading today when I logged on. Another volunteer firefighter dies in a vehicle crash on the way to a vehicle crash. Non the less he was ejected out of his vehicle. Some things come to mind why was he going fast, tunnel vision maybe? Where was his seatbelt? Though I dont know the perticulars regarding this incident but were we not educated to take our time going to calls so you do not create another one? I know it happens alot more often than people think but truly we are our own worst enemies. The second thing I would like to discuss is the other issue of arson. Again I read today of a volunteer firefighter igniting a trailer on fire and being charged with arson and theft. What is with these members of these departments? I am a career firefighter and also a very active volunteer and I just dont get it. Do departments need to do more background checks or are some departments letting any swinging #@%$ in there departments. I would like to know everyones input on this.

Edited by lad41der

We do Driver Lisence and Background checks through the State Police. I suppose some jerks can still slip through the cracks, but everyone we have elected into membership has been good, for the most part. I really can't think of any real bad apples we had. and if one of our members gets in trouble for certain problems, they are releived of duty until the matter is adjudicated.

Intersting reading today when I logged on. Another volunteer firefighter dies in a vehicle crash on the way to a vehicle crash. Non the less he was ejected out of his vehicle. Some things come to mind why was he going fast, tunnel vision maybe? Where was his seatbelt? Though I dont know the perticulars regarding this incident but were we not educated to take our time going to calls so you do not create another one? I know it happens alot more often than people think but truly we are our own worst enemies. The second thing I would like to discuss is the other issue of arson. Again I read today of a volunteer firefighter igniting a trailer on fire and being charged with arson and theft. What is with these members of these departments? I am a career firefighter and also a very active volunteer and I just dont get it. Do departments need to do more background checks or are some departments letting any swinging #@%$ in there departments. I would like to know everyones input on this.

Lad41der,

You answered your own question. We do need more background checks. Criminal, work history credit, etc. I am in total favor of that. It is great we check for arson convictions but arson is not the only crime in the NYS penal law. I have seen many degenerate, low life skells come in and as quiclky as they come they go but not before something happens.

I am not familiar with the death you are talking about so I can't comment on it however I will say crashes are one of leading caused of death and injuries and it needs to be addressed As an EVOC instructor I can only say slow down, obey all traffic rules, the blue light ( on personal vehicle) is only a courtesy light, red lights and sirens do not expempt one from driving with due regard...you are responsible for yourself, your crew, and the public.

These are unfortunate occurences, but I think they happen much less than it seems. It's similar to school shootings. The way the media portrays them, you'd think that they happen on a regular basis. "Volunteer Firefighter Convicted for Arson" sells more than "Volunteer Firefighters Host Blood Drive."

Also, like DOC22 said, you can screen applicants but you can't know for sure what a person is and isn't capable of.

Most of us live in small villages/towns where everybody knows everybody. This includes the police. Our Fire Chiefs / Officers need to insist the police strickly enforce all of the traffic laws, personnal vehicles and responding fire apparatus. Have the police enforce the law and not let things slip because we all know each other. We should then see a real decrease in these incidents.

Most of us live in small villages/towns where everybody knows everybody. This includes the police. Our Fire Chiefs / Officers need to insist the police strickly enforce all of the traffic laws, personnal vehicles and responding fire apparatus. Have the police enforce the law and not let things slip because we all know each other. We should then see a real decrease in these incidents.

A Kentucky volunteer firefighter has died from the injuries he sustained while responding to an injury auto crash. The FF was critically injured in the response crash on February 1 and succumbed to his injuries this morning. 28 year old Steven Eric Vanderpool Jr. of West Liberty was responding to that initial vehicle crash in when he failed to yield and ran a stop sign....and another vehicle struck him in the left side. FF Vanderpool was ejected out the driver side door. He was treated and transported to a local hospital and then flown to the U of K Medical Center.

Our deepest sympathies go out to all effected and especially to his family, friends and members of his FD.

Take Care-BE CAREFUL. Another tragic LODD re: stopping at red lights and stop signs.

BillyG

The Secret List 2-24-07 / 2220 Hours

A Kentucky volunteer firefighter has died from the injuries he sustained while responding to an injury auto crash. The FF was critically injured in the response crash on February 1 and succumbed to his injuries this morning. 28 year old Steven Eric Vanderpool Jr. of West Liberty was responding to that initial vehicle crash in when he failed to yield and ran a stop sign....and another vehicle struck him in the left side. FF Vanderpool was ejected out the driver side door. He was treated and transported to a local hospital and then flown to the U of K Medical Center.

Our deepest sympathies go out to all effected and especially to his family, friends and members of his FD.

Take Care-BE CAREFUL. Another tragic LODD re: stopping at red lights and stop signs.

BillyG

The Secret List 2-24-07 / 2220 Hours

A volunteer firefighter in Surry County faces arson charges, authorities said Tuesday.

Corey Dehart, of Mount Airy, was charged in connection with a mobile home fire that was reported Monday night on New Crosswinds Drive.

Dehart was charged with second-degree burglary and second-degree arson, according to a statement from the Surry County Sheriff's Office.

Investigators said they are looking into whether Dehart is linked to two other mobile home fires that occurred last summer.

Dehart is a volunteer firefighter with the Four Way Volunteer Fire Department. He was placed under a $100,000 secured bond.

We do liscense checks, a really limited backround check as well as an arson check through the local pd.

This is why background checks have to be done! This guy tried to get into my firehouse a few years back (As stated in the article) and other firehouses and other agencies as well. Thankfully all the agencies have members know who this jerk is and we contact the local PD's asap.

REPOSTED FROM THE NEW HAVEN REGISTER:

Ex offender charged with forgery

Michelle Tuccitto Sullo, Naugatuck Valley Bureau Chief

02/24/2007

-SHELTON — A registered sex offender with a history of impersonating law enforcement personnel was charged Friday with forgery after he allegedly used a fake name to try to become a local firefighter.

Edward Minerly, 44, of 80 Center St., Shelton, was charged with two counts of second-degree forgery, after police conducted a search of his home.

Minerly is listed on the state Department of Public Safety’s Sex Offender Registry, as he was convicted in 1992 of first-degree sexual assault on a minor. He had been charged in 1991 with sexually assaulting two children, ages 6 and 9, in Derby.

Detective Ben Trabka said Minerly tried to join the Echo Hose Hook & Ladder Company recently. According to Trabka, Minerly used a fake last name, "Miner," on an application.

"A couple of firemen recognized him and alerted us, and we began an investigation," Trabka said.

Trabka said Minerly had also tried to join the Echo Hose Ambulance.

Jason Perillo, chief of Echo Hose Ambulance, said Minerly had asked to observe with members on the ambulance, but didn’t apply to join.

"We became aware of some of his background and asked him to leave, which he did," Perillo said.

Police executed a search warrant Friday at Minerly’s home, looking for evidence of forgery.

"We recovered numerous articles of (emergency uniform-style) clothing and two badges, one for a firefighter and one for a security guard," Trabka said.

Police seized a black Chevrolet Lumina which had been outfitted like a police car, with a siren, lights and a spotlight, according to Trabka. Police do not know if Minerly has attempted to pull anyone over with the vehicle, Trabka said. Police also found handcuffs among Minerly’s belongings, police said.

"All of the items we seized were items he was banned from having," Trabka said.

According to Trabka, Minerly has been arrested before for impersonating police officers and fire personnel, and is prohibited from having any affiliation with any firehouse, emergency medical service or police department.

Police are consulting with probation officials, and Minerly may face additional charges if he violated any conditions of probation.

Fire Chief John Millo said the department notified police after learning there was a possible problem with an individual applying to become a firefighter. The application was received about 30 days ago, he said.

"It was great work by Detective Trabka and the Police Department to bring this case to a close," Millo said. "(Minerly) had prior problems and convictions that precluded him from being affiliated with any emergency services. I’m thankful to the firefighters who suspected a problem."

Minerly has a history of trying to join various emergency organizations. In 1999, for example, he was charged with criminal impersonation for allegedly using a fake name to try to become a firefighter in Ansonia.

Minerly was held in lieu of $25,000 bail and arraigned Friday in Superior Court in Derby.

His case was continued to March 6.

As of late Friday, Minerly had not posted bail.

Michelle Tuccitto Sullo can be reached at mtuccitto@nhregister.com or 734-2813.

©New Haven Register 2007

Edited by IzzyEng4

I don't see how a background check will solve everything.

If you have a "new and upcoming star of the Law Enforcement Community" that has no record, no history of service, no known issues - how do you prevent them from turning into an arsonist or something else?!

We've all had guys in our Departments that we all pegged as a future member of the Prison Population. Luckily (at least the ones I can think of) we were wrong. But there have been plenty of a******* who get into the fire service, or in some cases - EMS, that have been thrown out because it was only a matter of time before they went over the line and did something totally nuts and illegal.

If you look around your firehouse, or on forums like this one, where guys are pounding on their chests about their call volume or how many fires they get, and you add in a young, impressionable mental midget dying to get respect from his peers, you'd better keep an eye on them. Before you know it they might be torching stuff and risking the lives of YOUR PEOPLE!

That's my two cents....