Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
millwood127

north/south zones for trunked system

12 posts in this topic

I am on the millwood fire company and would llike to know if when useing the truncked system are we on both the north and south zone or just on one of the two

Your on one.

thanks but am I on north or south I am assuming north If i am in millwood is this right?

Edited by millwood127

I would also guess north but i am not sure.

This system seems to be comming together though.  The talk groups are up on

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=1744 if you havent seen them yet.

Is there anyone out there that knows for sure if millwood is in north I am getting a highband portable and want to make sure I program the right zone in it

Is there anyone out there that knows for sure if millwood is in north I am getting a highband portable and want to make sure I program the right zone in it

A standard UHF Portable will not work... You need a UHF Portable that is capable of being programed for Motorola Type II Trunking system.. which will cost you about $3000 for one radio. And from what I hear... The county with this trunking system has the ability to control what radios use the system, so if they dont give you access.. it isnt going to work.. I guess they want to control who has access to this new system.... Just an FYI....

A standard UHF Portable will not work... You need a UHF Portable that is capable of being programed for Motorola Type II Trunking system.. which will cost you about $3000 for one radio.  And from what I hear... The county with this trunking system has the ability to control what radios use the system, so if they dont give you access.. it isnt going to work.. I guess they want to control who has access to this new system.... Just an FYI....

Is smart trunkII system the motorola type II system

does anyone know for sure if the poundridge repeater for 33.96 is still up and running

Departments are not assigned to the system by zone. You wil be able to talk to anyone in your Talkgroup wherever you are within range of the system. North Zone and South Zone are basically designators for the two separate groups of frequencies assigned to each Zone.

Your Talkgroup could be on both zones if radios from the TG are located in both zones. If no radios from your TG are in one of the Zones your transmission will not be transmitted in the Zone with no radios from your TG in it.

Edited by SteveOFD

If anyone has any questions in regards to purchasing a portable radio, contact county DES and speak to them. That way you will not waste your money.

Also as stated the north/south zone has nothing to do with it. Every department is assigned into a talk group.

On an additional opinion/personal note, how is it that communication is considered one of the most critical functions for emergency services but yet it still is one of the most mis-understood functions out there. Filled with myth's, unknowns, don't wanna knows and what have you.

I have to point one more thing out that has been a aggravant for me for a couple years being a communications instructor. Just an know your equipment type thing.

VHF:

Lo band- 30 to 54 Mhz

High band- 125 to 200 Mhz

UHF: 300 to 3000 Mhz (note there is no reference to "high" band anywhere here. Because "high band" is a term used under VHF radios.

Guys let me try to break this down a little.

Lets look at this as if there are no radios currently turned on and active on the system.

When a radio turns on it will talk to nearest tower (North or South) once it has said hello to the tower the talkgroup will turn on.

When the radio is keyed and you talk you audio will go over all sites in the zone you are in. So if you are talking into the South Zone, you audio will go over all south zone towers at the same time. It will not go over the north system.

So if you have a scanner you will hear this user only on the south zone. So if you are in yorktown you won't hear anything.

Now lets say this user is from pelham. Audio is only on the south zone. Now someone from Pelham is in Yorktown and turns on a radio. Well that radio will talk to the nearest tower (North Zone) and it will then turn on the talkgroup on the north zone.

So if you have a scanner you will now hear the audio on borth zones, because there are radios on that talkgroup talking to towers in both zones.