13 posts in this topic

Firehouse.com Home > News Headlines

FDNY Fire Truck Involved in Eight-Vehicle Crash

Updated: 02-28-2007 11:17:46 AM

E-MAIL THIS STORY PRINT THIS STORY

JOHN DOYLE and BILL SANDERSON

Courtesy of The New York Post

Courtesy of The New York Post/Paul Martinka

Here's the mangled mess left in Brooklyn yesterday when a firetruck smashed into eight vehicles, leaving a van heaped atop two cars and sending eight people to the hospital.

At 7:17 a.m., Ladder 123, its siren wailing, was heading south on Brooklyn Avenue in Crown Heights.

A Mazda Protege passed through a green light to cross the avenue, and smacked into the side of the big rig.

The impact sent the ladder truck careening, and it sideswiped a parked BMW and plowed into two other parked vehicles, a Toyota Corolla and a Jeep Cherokee. The Corolla and Jeep were pushed underneath a parked van.

"The firetruck was going fast - it couldn't stop," said witness Diale Phelps. "The only thing that stopped it were the two cars and the van."

Three cars parked further down the street suffered minor damage.

At Union Street and Brooklyn Avenue, passers-by rushed to aid the Mazda's driver and her son.

"She was so excited about getting her son out - she was in shock," said a witness, Roxine Mial.

The woman, her son and six firefighters were treated for minor injuries.

Thats crazy. I actually almost got run over by a firetruck today at the Westchester Medical Center. It blew through a stop sign at about 40 mph without slowing down. It was a little to close for me.

Edited by paratrooper75

Holy Crap! Talk about your "warzones"....stacking cars three high, ripping a tree out of the ground, and ruining a new bmw sad.gif

Hope everyone is okay

Thats crazy. I actually almost got run over by a firetruck today at the Westchester Medical Center. I blew through a stop sign at about 40 mph without slowing down. It was a little to close for me.

You blew through it? tongue.gif

And who's fault was this?

I blame Comissioner Scoppetta, who is more interested in response times, than FF safety. Remember a year or so ago when he threatened to transfer officers if response times did not decrease, after the union told its members to respond safely, i.e. stop/slow down at traffic lights/ stop signs, intersections, etc.

So its no different than the other posting regarding responding in personal vehicles. We can all just disregard stop signs, red lights, etc. because we MUST get to the call as fast as we can?

THe operator of the ladder is not at fault?

Just going by media reports several have mentioned a car either trying to beat the truck through the intersection or cutting the truck off. The catch is the truck was going against the light so no matter what happened it can be looked at so that its the LCC's fault.

Just going by media reports several have mentioned a car either trying to beat the truck through the intersection or cutting the truck off.  The catch is the truck was going against the light so no matter what happened it can be looked at so that its the LCC's fault.

Partyrock I thought that 123 was struck by the car after they entered the intersection, which means the car hit the rig near/on/or after the front wheels. The fact that the car hit the rig in this spot puts the spotlight on the driver of the car not the LCC.

GO FIGURE!!! iNSTEAD OF DELETEING BECAUSE IT OFFENDED SOMEONE YOU DEFEND IT....

GREAT JOB!!!WHAT A JOKE!!!

Edited by LCFD968

The Crown Heights Info site is run by Jews for Jews. I don't believe "these Jews have it covered" is derogatory in any way.

Take the line in the story written by the author- "There were a few injuries, BH nothing serious. There were no Jews involved; however a number of the cars were owned by Jews." Looking through the site, it does appear fairly ethnocentric, which is good for them.

The author refers to the people involved as Jews- with Jews being used a noun. Same reference was made here.

Partyrock I thought that 123 was struck by the car after they entered the intersection, which means the car hit the rig near/on/or after the front wheels.  The fact that the car hit the rig in this spot puts the spotlight on the driver of the car not the LCC.

Absolutely right, except the onus is on us to prevent idiots from crashing into the big red thing with the siren and flashing lights when we are operating in violation of VTL. The LCC did the rigth thing and all of the other drivers had no problem yeilding the right of way. This a** is just going to say the LCC didn't give him a chance to stop before entering the intersection.