Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryefd192

Disaster response trailer

8 posts in this topic

My department (SWFD in Lee County AL) is trying to put together a disaster response trailer in light of the recent tornado's in southern Alabama (we are trying to go down there but we've been playing phone tag with the EMA here) We have a trailer that we are going to outfit for this purpose. I was wondering if anyone had something of this nature at their department; we are looking for ideas of ways to lay out the trailer and also what tools we may have overlooked.

Thanks in advance,

ryefd192

Rye: What type of response is your department leaning towards providing? That would be the best place to start. Are you talking MCI/EMS, USAR type activities or etc.?

We're looking towards the type of responses we will need for down here...mostly severe weather type. Hurricanes, tornados and the like is what we will be using it for. As I said, we would have been down near Enterprise today where the weather hit yesterday but the alabama EMA kept telling us they would call and let us know and hours later we would call back, or they would say, " they need people, but you'll have to call this number to see if they need people" !!!!!!!

Edited by ryefd192

So then I'm going to take it that you are looking for a all purpose type equipment response. I understand what you're saying about weather related, I'm just trying to see if you are leaning towards medical, rescue, logistical support, etc. If you're going middle of the road, I would work with your surrounding agencies, see what they have and build off it or work with your state/county OEM's. The more specific you are I'm thinking you'll probably be used more.

Thanks ALS, yea I think what we are trying to do is be able to offer our services in a multiple range of things, but have proper supplies and equipment for each one. We will most likely be heading to any disaster site with at least 1-2 certified EMT's as well as first aid qualified personell. We also want to be able to offer debris cleanup/search and rescue aid. If we were to respond to a disaster such as New Orleans,where there were fires ; we would take one of our engines, which minimizes the need for fire supression equipment. As of now what we were able to throw together between yesterday and today in the trailer was 2 generators (one owned by EMA so we kinda need to bring it and both just to aid other agencies as at this time whe have nothing we would need electricity for) some hand tools (axes halligan shovels rakes) gas saws (chain and k12) two SCBA's (just in case, with extra bottles) our medical equipment (jump bag, collars, backboard) some handlights, gas (mixed and regular) extra mix oil...and i cant remember if anything else....but that was what we had as we didn't know where we would be assigned or what the degree of work would be when we got there. I hope we will make the trailer more organized and less of a broad spectrum of tools, but they may want us to keep it that way so we can be listed as multiple degrees of aid....it remains to be seen

Not sure if this info will help,but during my comute to work every day I noticed a diasater response trailer at the croton falls fd,maybe if you contact someone there they can help you,besides i've been dying to find out whats in it myself

Cool, thanks...Anyone on here from Croton Falls?

biggrin.gif If I remember correctly one of the tech rescues in one of the county in Maryland has a pod system to use with a hook lift truck. This way you can have multi task pods instead of trucks