Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LCFD968

Taking Members in at 17yrs old

16 posts in this topic

I am looking for some information.

The department I belong to is looking to take in members at 17yrs old. I know there are alot of departments that do already and I am looking for the Pro's and Con's.

Is there any special rules that they have to follow? Like thier own bylaws or a section of bylaws that pertain to memebrs under 18 yrs old. and if so can I have a copy?

In Millwood you are allowed to join the fire department as an interior firefighter at 16 years old. Take into consideration that it usually takes about a few months even a year to become a fully qualified interior firefighter. Therefore, you’re actually an interior firefighter by 17 years old. In Millwood, 16 year olds have the same rules, regulations and bylaws as a 35 year old member. All members under 18 years old need a signed application by parents or guardians to join the department and then to take training. As long as the parents are alright with it, everything’s fine. As for Pros and Cons, I think it’s really up to the officers in charge to determine if a young member is mature enough to fight an interior fire. Bringing young members into the firehouse is usually a great thing. Many times it’s hard for experienced firefighters to “hand over the torch†and start teaching a new generation of firefighters. I think the Pros outweigh the Cons when it comes to 17 year old firefighters. Teach them when they're young. Good luck!

Edited by MRK303

In Golden's bridge we take in members at 16. They are not allowed to enter burning buildings. They must be home by 10:00 p.m. whenever school is in session. And they cannot be in the firehouse without a senior member.

While this is not a bad thing, you have to be very cautious and smart as to how you proceed. Obviously your going to have to receive parental consent - i would even go as far as having an informational meeting because not many families out there really know what an FD does. Limit their access to the building, limit when they can and cannot respond to calls (IE: during school hours, not after 11pm, etc.), and make sure to spell out what they can and cannot do. Also, look to establish some sort of oversight, someone that can be responsible for their accountability on and off a job.

Above all please check with your department insurance company, they sometimes will have certain stipulations as to member age and what they can do.

It might save you some trouble down the road.

smile.gif

especially with regards of riding rigs, alot of insurance companies wont cover people under 18 on fire apparatus

Thank you for your insight...

We figure that they wouldnt be interior and they can't respond after 10pm. I wouldnt give them a blue light until 18 either.

The insurance thing worries me. If its to much then it migt not be worth it.

If any one has any other information let me know..

Thanks for your time..

I started when I was 16 and since changing departments we are now working on a program here as well.

Here are a few things you will want to consider:

1. Check your state's Child Labor Laws as to what you can and can't let them do. In Jersey, that basically means no operating power tools (Rescue included) and no hot zone entry.

2. Make sure you have an open channel with the parents...

3. Make it clear to the juniors/cadets that grades count and they can be benched for poor school performance if mom/dad say so.

4. Keep the school in the loop, they may get some type of credit for there service. Also establish response guidelines/restrictions during school hours.

5. Establish strict guidlines for hours and response...like out of the station by 9 pm on school nights and 10 on the weekend. Hold adult members accountable for not getting them out/home on time.

Just some food for thought and things that I learned learned from when I was A bit younger.

PM me if you would like to discuss off-line.....Bill

The State of Conn. does not allow persons younger than 18 to take a FF1 class.

I happen to agree with this. A 16 year old interior FF ? You've got to be kidding me. A 16 year old is too young and immature to enter an IDLH area and any Dept. that allows that to happen should take a step back and look at the big picture.

I cringe when I read articles about a kid who dies enroute to a fire in a overturned car or truck. People get hurt in live fire training, it's unfortunate but true. A 16 year old does not have the maturity to make that kind of decision. I'm not saying that young people should not be involved in some way and be exposed to LIMITED training. However, counting on CHILDREN to perform a dangerous job that can get them and/or others injured is criminal in my opinion.

A 16 year old interior FF?  You've got to be kidding me.  A 16 year old is too young and immature to enter an IDLH area and any Dept. that allows that to happen should take a step back and look at the big picture.

Yea...can you say "Endangering the welfare of a child" or better yet "Excuse me, I think you dropped your soap."

A cadet/junior program can be a great thing, but there are limits. Make no doubts, the liability is high when someone intrusts their child to you. If you are not 18, you are a child, a minor, and must be treated as such.

Capt, I agree with you 100%.

If you look at the report referenced above, of the five states whose rules were surveyed only NY did not have uniform statewide standards for this.

This is why we're so messed up - everyone sets their own standards. Some high, some low, some don't address it at all.

I'm not pointing at just the fire service either - disparate service is provided by all emergency services, police, fire and EMS.

Thank you for your insight...

We figure that they wouldnt be interior and they can't respond after 10pm. I wouldnt give them a blue light until 18 either.

The insurance thing worries me. If its to much then it migt not be worth it.

If any one has any other information let me know..

Thanks for your time..

as far as insurance if you call them trainees and not junior memebers they can ride rigs to calls.

I was wondering if there was a CHild Labor Law involved. I do know that 17yr olds can take FF1 but we still wouldnt want them to be interior until atleast 18.

There are some Labor Laws and also some NYS Education Laws that come into play here. You can take FF1 at 16 because some of our 16 YO members have already taken it I used to know a lot more when I was Chief, but that was several years ago.

So much of this topic is going to be state specific, but I think some general ideas that should be in any program are:

1 - Follow whatever laws or regulations are in place

2 - Provide enough oversight that a younger members immaturity and inexperience do not get the better of them.

3 - Understand that junior members are not the soultion to manpower problem but are a great resource to the department and source for future firefighters.

4 - Make sure that roles and responsibilities are clearly spelled out to the junior member, their parents, and to all your other members.

5 - Train, train, train, this kind of program is all about training.

Edited by BFD182