Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryefd192

Silver lake trail map

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know where I can find a map of the trails around silver lake? I know I had one a couple of years ago, but I can't find it. I figure I might just have to make my own next time im in the area.

On a side note. Does anyone know the westchester parks stance on placing Geocaches?

Edited by ryefd192

Best on both counts would be to call the county parks department and ask. I'm sure they probably have some kind of map available if the park has ben around a while.

IMHO for GeoCaches: What they don't know won't hurt them. As long as it's not something thats going to cause a problem (leaking fluids/batteries/etc, suspicious containers, etc). They have been around for a few years (longer if you count Letterboxing) and I have not heard of any authorities having issues with the activity unless it creates a hazard of some sort.

EDIT:

When geocaching in busy locations, searching for a cache can require tact and craftiness to avoid the attention of the general public ("muggles"). The person hiding a geocache frequently takes this into account so that the hider and those looking for caches will not cause undue alarm. When care is not taken in hiding or finding a geocache, cachers have been approached by police and questioned when they were seen as acting suspiciously. Other times, investigation of a cache location after suspicious activity was reported has resulted in police and bomb squad discovery of the geocache. One such cache was destroyed by the Bellevue, Washington bomb squad, who suspected that an ammunition canister labeled as a geocache was a bomb [10].

Moral: Don't use an ammo can as a geocaching box.

Edited by WAS967

Thats funny. My friend and I actually got one yesterday that was an ammo box. I would have never thought twice about it. I guess since a lot of people don't know what it is, this type of confusion could occur.

on another point, I still wish I could find that map again.. lol

So I found out the map I had was from someone who had it a long time ago...Looks like im gonna have to make my own this summer...

So I could just open a new tab and google it but it is 0230hrs and I'm not going to. So I guess what I am trying to say is. What the hell is a geocache?? Thank you in advance....lol.

www.geocaching.com - in 1 sentence - a treasure hunt or hid-and-seek of sorts using handhelpd gps units. people hide a container of vaying sizes, and you try to find it based on the coordinates they post. there are more complicated versions too.