Followers 0
bigfitz2004

Dallas,TX- 7th Alarm 03-11-07

1 post in this topic

Date:3/11/07

Time: 2340hrs

Location: Hundall St. X Cedar Springs Road "Harvey's Racquet Club Apartments"

Departments: DFD

Description: (1) Dead, (12) injured with (2) burn victims in OMD fire.

Writer:Bigfitz2004

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...re.5057d6c.html

By CYNTHIA VEGA / WFAA-TV

Firefighters were digging through rubble and pouring water on hot spots early Monday after a fire swept through a Dallas apartment complex near Love Field, injuring at least 12 people and displacing more than 90 families.

Firefighters said the blaze at the Harvey's Racquet Club apartments at Hudnall Street and Cedar Springs Road broke out just before midnight Sunday and eventually went to seven alarms.

At least two people were badly burned, according to Dallas Fire-Rescue. No details were immediately available about their conditions.

Firefighters said at least 40 units were damaged. Black pieces of wood, charred like toothpicks, littered the grounds. Chunks of burned debris were scattered across the parking lot, and at least a dozen cars sustained damage like shattered windows, body damage or scorching.

Firefighters said a number of people jumped from balconies to escape the flames.

"I went to the door and I couldn't even get out," Priscilla Johnson said. "I had to jump down from the third floor, slide down on the wood to get out. I saw my whole apartment go up in flames."

Firefighters said the fire was quite advanced by the time the first trucks arrived and the flames spread quickly.

"Our real challenge right now is to make sure that we account for everyone that's inside the apartment complex," Dallas Fire-Rescue Lt. Joel Lavender said. "Basically our No. 1 priority is not so much putting out the fire, but it's about saving lives."

The complex contains approximately 300 apartment units. Public records show the complex was built in 1975.

Firefighters said they were slowed in learning the identities of possible missing victims because a number of the families living in the apartments were away on spring break.

Structural engineers were called in to help ensure the safety of rescue teams looking through the debris for possible victims.

More than 150 firefighters were involved in the operation. The cause of the fire was under investigation.

The American Red Cross established a shelter for the victims at the Grauwyler Recreation Center, 7780 Harry Hines Blvd.

"It's really emotional; you can imagine," Red Cross spokeswoman Anita Foster said. "That's 93 families who, in one fell swoop, have lost everything they have."

She said displaced families will need immediate help with housing, food, and clothing. Many will require mental health assistance to deal with the magnitude of the tragedy.

"It's going to be a big job for the Red Cross and for the community to come together to help," Ms. Foster said.

Dallas Morning News staff writer Kimberly Durnan contributed to this report.

Edited by Truck4