Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OoO

$200 NYS Tax Credit for Volunteer FFs and VACs

8 posts in this topic

Beginning on your 2007 tax return, volunteer firefighters and ambulance workers will be eligible for a $200 tax credit provided that they:

1. Were active in their department for a the full year

2. Do not receive a real property tax exemption

Details

This site says it is expected to pass but to my knowledge (and research) it did in fact pass. biggrin.gif

I don't understand why you can't get a 2% property tax break from your local municipality and the the earned income tax credit too. They should want to help their volunteers by making it more affordable to live in the areas they cover. No offense to any of the younger people on this site but most of you will not be able to buy a home in Westchester County if you go into public service. Prices are still high, taxes are phenomenol, and bills just pile up. Trust me, it is no fun. I will probably go back to volunteering when we have more help around the house, and I hope that there will be some help in it when it comes to serving my town. 2% really ain't that much of a discount and that tax is different than my income tax. (The 2% I save won't be deductible from my income tax anyways).

A new section 606(e-1) has been added to the tax law to provide for a volunteer firefighters and ambulance workers tax credit for tax years beginning on or after Jan 1, 2007.

$ 200.oo per person if husband and wife both volunteer. and must be active.

A taxpayer who receives a real property tax exemption under Title 2 of Article 4 of the Real Property Tax Law, related to such service, is not eligible for the credit.

State of SC gives volunteers a $3000 tax break and even more if you a HAZMAT Tech.

Unfortunately we are talking about NY...land of the rich (right!).

A new section 606(e-1) has been added to the tax law to provide for a volunteer firefighters and ambulance workers tax credit for tax years beginning on or after Jan 1, 2007.

$ 200.oo per person if husband and wife both volunteer. and must be active.

A taxpayer who receives a real property tax exemption under Title 2 of Article 4 of the Real Property Tax Law, related to such service, is not eligible for the credit.

So, if you're single, you don't qualify for the $200 credit? What's up with that?

So, if you're single, you don't qualify for the $200 credit? What's up with that?

I don't think that is what that says...I think he was just pointing out that a family can qualify for 2 if both persons are involved in the services.

I don't think that is what that says...I think he was just pointing out that a family can qualify for 2 if both persons are involved in the services.

Ok, that makes more sense.