Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Digital Video Editing

9 posts in this topic

I've dabbled in digital video editing using Pinnacle software and their computer/camera adapter but I now have new responsibilities that will require me to produce digital video for presentation, training, and public relations.

Does anyone else do video editing?

If so, what do you use for it? I'm especially interested in the equipment and software you're using.

Remember, it has to be cop proof so the more simple the better!

Thanks in advance!

Chris

I use NERO, it came with my hp lightscribe dvd burner...edit videos of my daughter that we film on a sony hd vid cam.

What kind of computer do you have? If you have a Mac I would definately suggest Imovie HD very simple and easy to use.

What kind of computer do you have? If you have a Mac I would definately suggest Imovie HD very simple and easy to use.

No Mac, it's a Dell Windows based PC...

I am a film student and I use Avid Xpress Pro. I use it for both presentation videos and editing feature and short films with footage from either Mini DV, DVCAM, 16mm, or 35mm film. I currently run it on a custom built PC with the Canopus ADVC-110 (allows audio and video to be imported and exported using RCA, S-Video, or firewire), a JVC VHS-Mini-DV deck, and a JVC preview monitor. I am waiting to run Avid Xpress Pro on my new MacbookPro because Avid has not released the fix for the Mac-Intel Processors yet. Avid Xpress Pro costs about $1500 and as of now Avid is the movie industry standard. It works on both Mac and PC. If you are looking for a cheaper program, Sony makes a program called Vegas+DVD. It has both video editing and DVD authoring in it and runs about $550 or so. If you know a student or teacher who can buy these for you off of academicsuperstore.com or studica.com, then I would go for Avid Xpress Pro because its about $250 with the student discount and you get everything that you get for $1500. The Avid Mojo with Avid Xpress Pro is also a good package. THe Avid Mojo is used to import and export through Avid. It is more expensive but from what I hear its well worth it.

Okay, who is buying me AVID??? I have looked at it many times and would love to have it but could not spend 1500 dollars on it...My wife would hang me!!!!!!

but 250 is well under the notification bar...I could easily get away with it...then I would have a reason to negotiate for a new desktop computer...I want a media center but it keeps getting put on the back burner because of the new kitchen!

Chris, stick to the basic stuff...Nero, Roxio, and Pinacle. Unless your looking to give stephen speilburg a run for his money, its not worth shelling a few GRAND out on the software. So, x2 to Oswego!

I've dabbled in digital video editing using Pinnacle software and their computer/camera adapter but I now have new responsibilities that will require me to produce digital video for presentation, training, and public relations.

Does anyone else do video editing?

If so, what do you use for it?  I'm especially interested in the equipment and software you're using.

Remember, it has to be cop proof so the more simple the better!

Thanks in advance!

Chris

I like editing on the mac. I love imovie very easy to use and you can get upgraded special effects from the apple store cool.gif

I do alot of video editing and stuff. I use Final Cut Pro (Avids a lil expensive) I do like weddings, our local high school sports show, a kids food show, all kinds of stuff and short 15min movies about adventures in our school with a fairy, a trackstar, and ducttape man. www.youtube.com/garnetinsider. For any video of stuff questions just pm with any questions you have about that kinda stuff. smile.gif Video editing on anything costs $$$. Im lucky cuz im still for antoher couple of months in HS. To start basic video stuff get a G4 or G5 mac (1,000) then a camera with a DV port (300) then software iMovie (free) or Final Cut Pro (300 to 600) I can ramble on forever but it costs money but its alot of fun just PM with any questions u have. biggrin.gif